Should I apply for a Visa next time, as my Green Card will not be valid after 12 months? 6 Answers as of November 12, 2012

My husband is forcing me to leave with a one-way ticket to Australia in two weeks. I don’t have money to fight this and will have to find work in Australia in order to return to USA. I don t think I’ll return to live.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
Get a consultation with an immigration attorney: you might be apply for a permanent green card without your husband's support. Otherwise, after your 2-year green card expires, the Immigration will view your marriage as fraudulent. If it happens, you are not likely to ever again come to the U.S. in any status, and if you marry another U.S. citizen, his immigrant petition for you will be denied.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/12/2012
Law Office of Rebecca White
Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
I am not clear if you're the spouse of a US citizen and planning to divorce, or what your exact situation is, but no one other than the US government can "force" someone to leave the US. It sounds as though you should consult with a divorce attorney immediately, but, again, that is not quite clear from your question.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 11/6/2012
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
How can he force you to leave? If you are a green card holder, you have full right to remain in the US. If you don't want to lose your green card and you are still going to leave, I would suggest that you apply for a reentry permit while you are still in the US so as not to forfeit your future ability to return to the US as a permanent resident. That reentry permit will allow you to be outside the US for up to 2 years without entering the US but also without losing your permanent resident status. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/5/2012
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
Your inquiry is unclear as to why your husband is forcing you to leave the USA in two weeks Is there an abuse issue involved You should contact the local police or Legal Aid Society to assist you in this circumstance.sion.?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/5/2012
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
You should consult with an Immigration attorney. You may be able to still keep your green card and get the 10-year green card when your 2-year card expires. I can give you a telephone consultation and may even discount my already very competitive rate. Keeping your PR will give you more options to get US citizenship or in the future leave the US and not live here. You have these options if your marriage is a real one.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/5/2012
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    Your husband cannot force you to leave the country if you do not wish to do so. If you wish to return you could file for a re-entry permit that will allow you to maintain your status or, you may be able to seek a returning resident visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. It is best to document the reason for your failure to return within a year.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/5/2012
Click to View More Answers: