Should I admit my fault to officer in a hit and run with another vehicle? 15 Answers as of June 27, 2013

Cars both damaged but no injuries I do have insurance. I simply panicked and don't want this to ruin my life. Lady must have seen my plate just not sure if I should admit fault to cop.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
Do not waive your right to counsel, (U.S. Amendment VI), nor to remain silent (U.S. Amendment V). LSA, leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. If injuries are claimed later, which can certainly happen, then it is a felony. Speak to no one about it. Hire an attorney, immediately. He or she can notify your insurer, (NOT YOU, as your admission to your insurer could be admitted into evidence) and discuss with the officer or District Attorney, having restitution paid by your insurer, WITHOUT YOU ADMITTING TO A CRIME. The State has the burden of proving who was driving. Don't admit to something that could result in you being incarcerated. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 10/9/2012
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
Remember, whatever you tell the police can and will be used against you in a court of law. There is no requirement that you talk to the police and sometimes the best policy is to say nothing.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/9/2012
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
Why are you talking to the officer at all?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/27/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Do not talk to the police without your own lawyer standing right next to you. You will be giving up your 5th amendment right against self incrimination.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/8/2012
Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
It is always best to tell the truth. If you don't you could lose your insurance coverage. Do the right thing.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/8/2012
    Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
    If you ran from the scene of an accident as you describe you are at?fault. Since you have insurance turn. The matter over to the insurance company. You are saying you did not want to ruin your life indicates an abdication of civil and moral responsibility. What if someone was serious hurt, needed money for medical care but since you ran and hid out they were not properly taken care of? What if that ruined their life?
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    You should not even talk to the cop. You have a right to remain silent.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should not admit anything. You should get an atty and have the police speak with him. You should not discuss the matter at all with the police. Your words will be the cause of most of the trouble you have.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Law Offices of John Carney
    Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
    You should retain a good criminal lawyer to handle the case. Many people panic and leave the scene of an accident, but it is not what an honest or caring person would do since it is possible that someone was injured or that they would not be able to pay for the damages that you caused to their vehicle. Some injuries will not show up until a day later and so you will not always know if a person has an injury, they may appear to be fine and in no pain at the time of the accident. Not only did you damage their car and risk their life, you ran away in order to avoid prosecution or liability. That is a serious felony if there was an injury and it will usually mean jail time. If it was just property damage you may have a criminal record, but the judge will probably not sentence a first offender to jail. John Goodman is on trial for DUI and leaving the scene of a fatal collision in Florida and if convicted he will probably get 25 years in prison and pay a 50 million dollar civil suit. Someone usually gets a plate number and the police will show up at your door or call you. Simply say," I will be happy to answer all of your questions as soon as my lawyer is available." If they cannot prove who was driving you may win the trial or get a better plea deal.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Obtain an attorney and turn yourself in. Do not admit that the accident was your fault. Think of a valid and believable reason why you left the scene.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    If you will report this to your insurance co they will pay the damage. the police may not charge you. don't try to hide. That is what the statute is designed to punish. If your company pays the damage the DA might on that basis dismiss any charges against you. it is not a life changing experience despite what you think
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    Sure, and while you are at it give him your bank account numbers also. Lawyer up, cops are not there to help you, they are there to help get a conviction. They will lie, cheat, and promise you anything to have you admit and/or sign a statement, and our ( U.S. Supreme Court has said thats OK) Limit your statements, yes I was involved in the accident, why did you leave? I want an attorney. You fled the seen why? I want an attorney. Look if you admit to everything we, (the police) will put a good word in for you with the AG, and court; I want an attorney. Pretty easy isn't it!!
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Talk with a criminal attorney before you do anything. You have committed a crime.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/8/2012
    Dunnings Law Firm
    Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/21/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney