Should he tell them his real name and not his twin brother’s name and how much jail time will it be for impersonating his twin? 8 Answers as of April 18, 2013

My boyfriend went to jail Saturday morning, April 13, 2013. For DUI. He wasn't thinking and he used his twin brother’s name because he has a suspended license. He forgot that he’s twin brother has already a DUI, so he was charged for 2nd DUI. His arraignment will be tomorrow.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
He ought to admit to the deception because otherwise his brother will be mad at him for a long time. For the deception he could face some time at the same time as the OUIL. This depends on the laws in the State where you are. He might be able to make a deal to get the matter dropped. He should get a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/18/2013
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that he contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding his case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze his case and advise him of his options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2013
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
Bad decision. Now he can be charged with some form of giving false information to a police say nothing about the trouble his brother is in now. Have him do the right thing and clear his brother's name. He has to suffer the consequences of his own actions and learn to make better decisions.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
He should come clean about it before this gets a lot worse for him and his brother. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 4/16/2013
Leonard J. Levenson Attorney At Law | Leonard J. Levenson
He should tell his real name since the police will find out anyway. If he tells the police up front he may not get more time.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/16/2013
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    He better get a Great Lawyer and let him handle it.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    He was not charged his brother was charged. So, he should fail to show up for arraignment, so his brother's license will be suspended and brother will have a bench warrant. Otherwise, he will have to reveal that he used his brother's name, and will have additional charges.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    He should tell his real name to an attorney who is engaged to help him get out of this mess, a fraud on the state and great harm to his brother. So far he has made a valiant effort in changing a very serious situation into a total disaster.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/15/2013
Click to View More Answers: