Should courts conduct an investigation to determine what assets someone who is getting a divorce may have? 11 Answers as of June 23, 2015

Will the divorce courts conduct investigations to determine which assets someone has when they are in the process of getting a divorce?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Courts do not conduct asset investigations (except possibly the Friend of the Court and then only if child support is due) It is generally up to the other party to conduct asset investigations and present proof of assets to the court.
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Part of the process requires each party to disclose all of their income, expenses, assets and liabilities. If done falsely, it can result in reopening the financial provisions of the divorce. Plus each party has tools to get all the information about the finances of the other party.
Attorney at Law | Aimee C. Robbins
The court doesn't do the job of a good attorney, who will conduct a thorough discovery of all marital assets.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
The Court does not provide that service. If you do not believe the paperwork your spouse files you could hire a private investigator.
Gregory Brough, Attorney at Law | Gregory Brough
The court will not conduct an investigation. The opposing party may conduct an investigation.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    The heading conflicts with the body of your post because "Will" does not equal "Should". No. I remember this question coming up recently and wonder if it was yours.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    The court will conduct NO investigation. That is a function of each party to preform.
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
    Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
    The courts will not conduct an investigation. The investigation is up to the other party who has subpoena power. If you're not certain as to how to investigate and use subpoenas my suggestion is that you retain an attorney to do it for you. Good luck.
    I believe I answered this question last week. Courts do not conduct investigations. It's up to the parties (generally the parties' lawyers) to make such investigations as they think they need through the discovery process. Find a good family law attorney, and give him or her all the facts. Do not try to conceal assets: it's illegal and could get you into more trouble than just disclosing everything you are obliged to disclose.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    It is up to the parties to discover who has what.
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
    Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
    Each party is responsible for conducting their own discovery and investigation. There are disclosure requirements that must be followed and the court can make enforcement orders to compel discovery.