Once I report the commission check, will that disqualify me from getting unemployment benefits? 6 Answers as of January 30, 2013

I have been working for a company for over 16 years that closed down and I have been collecting unemployment for the last 6 months. I recently got my real estate license (I did not get paid for the days I have been in school as I reported them as not available). I am still available and looking for a job however recently I took a contract on a house for a friend of mine and I will make commission on it. I am a considered "an independent contractor" and I am not at the office at all, I am still home actively looking for a job. Once I report the commission check, will that disqualify me from getting unemployment benefits or will I just not get paid for the 2 weeks (the commission amount will be over $4000). I obviously don't want to commit any fraud and I will report the commission as income I just don't want to lose my benefits.

Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
Perhaps someone else has answered this for you, but "self-employment" does not count towards unemployment compensation. So long as you are able and available to work and are otherwise eligible for benefits, obtaining self-employment income does not disqualify you. Good luck.
Law Office of Patricia S. Rose | Patricia S. Rose
Should be basically the latter but please call and maybe set up a consult. UC is one of my areas of expertise but is is a problematic area.
Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
Report the commission check. You will lose benefits for the time in which you received the check...you will not be permanently disqualified for the rest of your benefit period.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
I assume you are now affiliated with a realty firm. That means you are self employed, and therefore employed, unless you are not going to sell anymore. It is really a choice you will have to make. When you report the money and you don't intend on continuing with l estate, then you can say that you remain unemployed. However, if you are now a real estate agent and are selling property,you are employed and no longer eligible for unemployment. You have a choice to make. Good luck.
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Must report the commission check or it is considered fraud.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    You will be fine if you do this: First, the #1 rule is to be honest as you report each week.You should report all the sums the week you receive them. When you are asked if you worked that week, say yes. You will then be prompted to enter the amount. You likely will not be able to list a 4 digit number, so report the earnings as $999.99. You will immediately be locked out for future reporting, and will be told to report to your career center. This happens any time you exceed your weekly benefit amount. Once you report to GA DOL, you will be asked if you are still seeking full time work while you work part time in real estate. If so, you are still entitled to receive benefits thereafter. I do not know why you say You would be disqualified just the one week. Actually, you do not loose this money. When your claim is usually exhausted, after X weeks, this lost week will be waiting out there for you. The important thing is to be constantly looking for full time work as you work part time, and be honest with GA DOL. If it does not turn out as I predict, you should file an appeal.