Once I get my green card how can I get my fiance/husband to live in the US? 1 Answers as of January 12, 2011

I'm waiting to receive my green card. Expect to receive it in 2015/2016. I currently have a non-US boyfriend and while we are waiting for me to get my green card before marrying (so I don't have to change the application and extend the processing time) we will marry immediately after I receive my Green Card. Questions:

1. Is there any benefit to marrying in or out the US?
2. I've read that there are is a long (years!) waiting period before he will be granted permanent residency (via I-130 process). How can he live in the US while waiting for approval? What other visas would he be eligible to apply for that would give him access to live in the country (with or without work rights?)
it would be possible for him to continue to run his business abroad from the US so he wouldn't have to necessarily WORK in the states. However, he would be willing to take up work there if that is one option to get the right to live there. Please help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Be very careful. Without knowing under what category you will be receiving your green card I can't say if marrying your boyfriend will absolutely affect your case, but most likely yes. Therefore consult an attorney in person and have them evaluate your case.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: