How can I protect my mother from identity theft charges? 1 Answers as of February 22, 2012

Non-resident mother used my SSN to work and support me and my brother when I was 13. I am 20 now, can I drop her charges? When I was 13, my single non-resident mother used my social security number to obtain work so that she could feed and support me and my baby brother on her own, away from my very abusive father. I'm 20 now, and wondering if I have the option of not pressing Identity Theft charges against her because at the time she had my permission and I don't want anything to happen to her. My father is fearful that I might be pressing abuse charges against him soon, and has been threatening to reveal the fact that my mother used my SSN to work in the past. He's using that to scare my mother into thinking she could be deported if he reports it to his lawyers, and to discourage me from coming at him because he knows I'm trying to protect my mother. Any insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
Your mother may be protected by the statute of limitations. See a lawyer to explain this to you and see that the lawyer has experiences with immigration criminal matters. Many of my cases involve protecting women who are illegal from deportation after filing abuse charges against abusive husbands.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/22/2012
Click to View More Answers: