What must I do to change my legal name? 20 Answers as of July 02, 2013

If I am a Canadian citizen and permanent resident of the U.S., what must I do to change my legal name (not for marriage)?

You have to go through the same steps of name change as anyone else. You can look at the requirement for so doing in your local area or consult with an attorney in your area who would be able to assist you.
Adesina Law Office, P.C.
Adesina Law Office, P.C. | Adebayo Adesina
You will need to satifsfy several legal requirements like publishing your intention to change your name and more. The fact that you are a foreign national makes it a bit more complicated. You need a lawyer that will assist you with the process.
Contact the clerk of the state court in your state of residence if you intend to do it in the US. A judge has to order it done. Otherwise, get US citizenship and you can do it on the N-400 form and the US district judge will order it so during the ceremony. Lastly, you can always do it in Canada. Good luck!
You may file a petition in family court or whenever you apply for naturalization, you may change your name part of the process.
You will need to comply with the requirements for the State in which you live related to a name change. Most are relatively straightforward Court procedures.
    Kanu & Associates, P. C. | Solomon O. Kanu
    You can do that at the court in your city or you can wait till your citizenship filing and change it there.
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates | Ayodele Mayowa Ojo
    People change their names for various reasons. You need to file a petition for Change of Name with the District Court and your legal name will be changed when the Petition is granted. You may also wait until you apply to become a US Citizen , if you plan to. At that point they allow you to change your names to anything you want, without having to pay for a separate application for change of name.
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    This is not an immigration question and is dependent on the state where you live. In Virginia, you can file a petition for name change with the Circuit Court where you reside. I recommend that you contact the Canadian Embassy to confirm that such a change would be given full faith and credit in Canada.
    Law Office of Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales | Sylvia Ontaneda-Bernales
    You can use the name you like, as long as it is not confusing or someone else's name and identity . Mere use is enough. However, for many reasons, it is better to formalize the name change through the courts. Go to your local court, request an application and proceed accordingly. In the petition, state your current name, place of birth and residence, as well as the name you would like to adopt and the reason why you are seeking to change your name. In some states, like Maryland, the name change has to be announced publicly so that anyone who objects may have a chance to do so. In lieu of publication in a newspaper, it may be enough to have the Sheriff post it publicly for a certain number of days. If no one objects, the court will approve the change. The petition must be signed, dated and filed with the Clerk of the court. Courts require a filing fee. The Clerk will tell you how long it might take to complete the process. Nevertheless, check with the Court if you don't hear from them after a reasonable amount of time. Name changes are not a priortiy on the courts' dockets and often get moved to the bottom of the pile.
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
    A legal name change is done through the State court. You can do it also when you apply for naturalization.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    You can do so two different way: File for naturalization at your earliest opportunity (Make sure you qualify). There is a section asking whether you want to change your name. You do not pay extra for this. Your new name will be effective on the day of your oath ceremony. I have done this many times. The other method is not based through immigration, but it is a simple procedure done at the local court. Some forms must be filed and you must make some publication about your new name. I have never done it myself, but one client of mine did it herself.
    Morinaka Law Office LLC | Chase Morinaka
    You will have to go to your local county court house to begin the process. Name change petitions can be run of the mill, but every state has its own rules and statutes. You will need to check with a Canadian lawyer to determine the validity of a name change in the United States. If you change your name in Canada, that name change will be allowed for U.S. immigration purposes. To be on the safe side, you should get a new I-551 (green card) with your new name.
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    Changing one's name is a matter of state law, not immigration law. Any adult person may change his own name, simply by beginning to use the new name. This is called a "customary" or "common law" name change, and it is completely legal. The law does not require anything more. Bureaucrats and insurance companies may insist on seeing a court order to change your name. They are incorrect in doing this; however, if you want to save yourself from the inconvenience and annoyance, you can apply to any District Court in Washington. They have the forms for you. The process costs under $100. If/when you want to become a US citizen, the application for citizenship includes the option to change your name.
    I cannot answer any questions regarding what you would have to do to change your name in Canada. However, to change your name in the United States, you must file an application for name change with a court of competent jurisdiction. The court where such applications are filed will depend upon where you live.
    Philip M. Zyne, P.A.
    Philip M. Zyne, P.A. | Philip M. Zyne
    File a Petition for Change of Name with the Circuit Court in the Florida County where you reside
    It is a question for your consulate.
    You need to file for a state civil court name change, then apply for a new PR card with form I-90.