My wife made a false report about me hitting her when she was drunk. what can be done? 8 Answers as of September 03, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
She can refuse to testify against you at trial if the testimony would show that she had committed a crime. (Lying to the police.) This is called taking the fifth and is her right against self incrimination.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/3/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
About her being your wife, or about your being prosecuted. You could divorce her. You could have her committed to a mental institution or rehab since she makes false reports when she out of her mind on alcohol.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/30/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Not much anyone can do at this stage. Prosecutors will never drop charges just because the victim has had a change of heart/story. The fact is, in 95% of all DV cases the parties reconcile, and prosecutors are well aware of this. You need a good lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/30/2013
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
Get a lawyer and fight it.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/30/2013
Rockhill Pinnick LLP | Jay Rigdon
Move out, file for divorce, go to trial.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 8/30/2013
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    If she is prepared to come forward and acknowledge that she made a false report, she can so advise the prosecuting authority. They may not believe her but they will know that her testimony at trial will not likely be helpful to them.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 8/29/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    She can notify the prosecutor that she made a false report. She could be charged with a misdemeanor. If there are pictures and a detail police report with their observation, her recant may not matter. Being drunk is not a defense.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/30/2013
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    Contact an attorney in your area and have them review the case. It really depends on the case history, what she said, who heard her say it, and what she is saying now, along with any statements you made, and any physical evidence. It's important to have a criminal defense attorney help you with this as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 8/29/2013
Click to View More Answers: