My wife has abandoned our children and me can I get child support now before we are divorced? 15 Answers as of April 15, 2013

She will not help with the bills.

Yes, file and serve your divorce petition and a motion to address child custody, visitation and support.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
You should be able to get child support, and maybe spousal support, depending on each of your income.
Hire an attorney.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
you can ask for it but it will depend on the judge
    You need to file for the divorce and ask for temporary orders and seek child support that way.
    Theoretically you can pursue child support determination without pursuing divorce; but, what possible benefit would that establish? You need to file for divorce and get everything resolved and over with.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    File for a hearing on child support and attorney fees. It'll take months to get a hearing, so don't wait. Opinion not legal advice.
    Yes but you need to file for divorce, and with the petition file a motion for temporary allowances to be heard most likely within 30 to 40 days.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    Once an action for dissolution is filed, a party can request a temporary order for support. You should consult a family law attorney or facilitator to assist you with the proper paperwork.
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
    By filing a divorce suit you can request temporary orders requiring her to pay child support. I suggest you hire a lawyer.
    Langford Law Firm
    Langford Law Firm | Theresa Langford
    Yes. You will file a Petition for Divorce, request temporary orders, set it for hearing, and serve her. This is rarely successful when you try to do it on your own, simply because it involves laws, procedures and evidence which are foreign to a lay person. I strongly advise you to retain an attorney to assist you.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    You must file some type of action with the court to obtain a support order. In many courts, you will not be able to collect until the date of filing, so it is best to take action. Consult with an attorney to discuss your rights and options further.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Yes, you can get child support and maybe spousal support prior to your divorce, but you have to ask a judge for it.
    yes. My answer applies only if you live in New Jersey. There is a lot at risk here, and you do not want to lose all of that.