My wife is accusing me of molesting our son, what do I do? 78 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I do not know why she is doing this, she is telling the police that I molested our son. She took him to the doctor to have him checked out. He is 4. I did not do anything.

Those are serious allegations. I would suggest retaining a lawyer before you speak to the police or CPS or anyone about the case.
Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
What ever you do do not make any statements without legal representation. False accusations like this are not uncommon. An attorney can do your talking for you if it gets that far. I gather at this point no charges have been brought. If contacted by the police tell them you would be happy to talk to them and to just get hold of your lawyer to set that up.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
Get yourself an attorney now. It appears that she may be trying to set you up for a divorce and a custody fight over your son.
Boske Law Offices
Boske Law Offices | Michael A Boske
Call a lawyer right away.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Hire a lawyer.
    Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law
    Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law | Glenn M. Sowa
    There are too many variables here to give you a definitive answer. Doctors are mandatory reporters. If they are presented with evidence of abuse, they must contact the proper authorities. You will probably be contacted by the police or the Department of Child and Family Services at some point to give your version of the accusation. *Do not,* speak to them without first consulting with a qualified criminal defense attorney.
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
    Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
    You need to hire an attorney immediately.
    I cannot give you advice because I don't represent you. But, I suggest that you make an appointment and speak with an experienced criminal law attorney right away. Do NOT speak to any investigators before consulting with an attorney.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    You should contact both the police and the Department of Children's Services. Since your wife is alleging that YOU are doing the molesting you will probably have to hire an attorney yourself. Someone will need to figure out who is doing what to the child. I would hire a private psychologist with experience in this are as well as a lawyer. Good luck.
    She may be planning to divorce you and this is so she has custody of the child and you don't even have visitation. Or another possibility is that she is mentally ill and delusional. Or she could have been told something by another person who is not friend of yours. If the police come and want you to give a statement. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT BRINGING ALONG A GOOD ATTORNEY. This is absolutely essential. There are police out there who see child molesters everywhere and will go on a witch hunt. PROTECT YOURSELF!!!!! This type of crime could invoke charges that carry a MINIMUM of 25 YEARS. GET A GOOD ATTORNEY!!!!!!
    You should contact a competent criminal defense attorney familiar with these types of cases for assistance. It is puzzling as to why she would do this if it isn't true.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C.
    Brucar & Yetter, P.C. | Wayne Brucar
    Consult an attorney immediately. Your actions now can have a tremendous effect on how the matter proceeds against you. Please understand that answering this doesn't create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as I try to answer your question well, it isn't legal advice. No matter how much information you put into a question, the answers you are going to get are still going to be vague. It is in your interest to contact a lawyer, most of whom will do a free consultation. Even 15 minutes with a lawyer is going to produce a more specific answer to your problem.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C.
    Gonzalez Law Associates P.C. | Carlos Gonzalez
    These are terribly serious charges, as you are aware of, and the law has changed much recently in that area... If you're able to afford an attorney make sure you hire someone experienced in the area... In many instances sentencing can be double for these cases what it would be for any charge, then there are also issues with potential need for SORA registrAtion. This charge alone could suffice to change your life forever, including even If she simply files charges in family court and nothing happens criminally you may be looking at being forced to stay away from your home and family due to an order of protection...
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson | Kathryn L. Hudson
    I would do the same and also take him to a psychologist that specializes in child molestation as it looks like your wife may be trying to set you up for her getting sole custody of your son. Being proactive and standing up to her with professional intervention on your own will go a long way towards stopping the false accusations. Young children can be coached into what to say and not understand what it is they are talking about, don't sit back and wait until the accusations become official.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    The police may very well try to interrogate you. You should hire an attorney now so that you can call upon him when the police come to talk to you.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
    There is only one thing you can do...hire a great attorney with experience handling sexual assault cases involving children.
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    Unfortunately, accusations alone can do a lot of damage. You should look into hiring an attorney to protect your interests.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    If the police come to question you, I suggest you tell them you have been advised not to answer any questions without a lawyer being present and then hire an attorney. Mike
    This is an extremely serious allegations. You need to retain the services of a GOOD attorney, who deals in this area of the law. Do not brush this off, because it perhaps is not true, you need to be serious about this with the assistance of an attorney. DO NOT ignore it.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    Hire counsel right away. These cases are complex, they are often charged based on very slight evidence, and having an attorney right now might help you. Do not talk to the police, your wife, or anyone else beside your attorney about the case. Mortgage the house, borrow from family, or sell your car; this is very serious and you need a lawyer experienced in these cases.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Do NOT talk to anyone, be interviewed by police or CPS or the Children's Assessment Center, take a polygraph or do anything else with regard to these allegations until you hire a lawyer - immediately. These are VERY serious allegations that could result in a LONG prison sentence. Your wife could manipulate your son into lying at that age. Anything that you say could be twisted in the future in ways that you have never thought of.
    Braunstein Law, PC
    Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
    You should definitely consider consulting with an attorney regarding how best to protect your constitutional rights. .
    Law Offices of Sean Logue
    Law Offices of Sean Logue | Sean Logue
    You need to hire an attorney before being charged. I handle those cases.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Hello- Do not talk to anyone, except a lawyer.
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Smith, Attorney at Law | Kevin Smith
    You must retain experienced legal counsel immediately, and not discuss this matter with anyone else. You want to know that your attorney has experience defending these types of cases in both pre-trial and trial, and is prepared to do the necessary investigation. Allegations like these typically trigger a series of forensic interviews with the child and the accuser that can solidify a story that has no basis in reality. Time is of the essence.
    Andrew R. Lynch, P.C.
    Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. | Andrew R. Lynch
    Hire an experienced sex crime defense attorney NOW!
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Lawyer up and move out.
    Potter Law Offices
    Potter Law Offices | Cal J. Potter, III, Esq.
    Do not make any statements and contact an attorney.
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    You need an attorney who specializes in sex offenses right away. This is serious on many levels. Don't go it alone.
    Law Office of James Christie, LLC
    Law Office of James Christie, LLC | James Christie
    I am sorry this is happening to you. You should contact a criminal defense attorney who is experienced with these type of cases immediately. Do not speak to anyone about this other than your attorney. You can expect the police to seek a warrant that will enable them to listen to and record your phone conversations, so do not discuss this matter over the phone, especially with your wife.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    Consult with an attorney immediately. If the case is referred to law enforcement or CPS, do not make any statements without consulting with an attorney first.
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
    Contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. Do not answer anyone's questions until you do.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    Say nothing to no one and retain an attorney immediately.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You know that you have very big trouble brewing. You should consult with an attorney.
    Watkins Law Office
    Watkins Law Office | Bob Watkins
    Such an accusation can result in very serious charges and penalties. You should sit down and talk to a lawyer before you discuss the accusations with anyone; especially the police.
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
    Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
    Get a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. These are incredibly serious accusations, and you need to act quickly to head them off before they can do any damage to you. Do not speak to the police without an attorney present. I understand that you didn't do anything, but anything you say to the police can be used against you, and it's not in your best interests to talk to them. I'm a former prosecutor who has dealt with many similar cases, and I'd be happy to give you a free consult to discuss your options.
    Hire an attorney and move put of the residence. Do not speak to cops w/out attorney. Suspect the relationship was having some problenms before this. Might also check out a good divorce attorney. Close all joint accounts. Take no more than half.
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    You need to hire an attorney as soon as possible. These allegations are serious! When the police ask to question you, invoke your right to remain silent and have an attorney present. They will most likely say, "oh you want an attorney because you are guilty!" They will also say, its better for you to talk, ect. But, it really isn't hire an attorney immediately!
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    You need an experienced criminal defense attorney that works these cases regularly. It is expensive, but nothing is more important for the rest of your life. Do not discuss the facts, any facts with anyone but your attorney. Get in someone's office today, right now. Do not talk to the police. The only thing you tell them is "I want an attorney." They may try to do a pre-text phone call, probably thru your wife/ex-wife or other close family member. This is designed to get you to say incriminating things. It is recorded and directed by a police officer. I know you want to plead your innocence. Just know it, do not do it. The police and DA will not believe you. Polygraphs are tools to get you to talk afterwards. We can plead innocence later. Once we know if they have any evidence at all. Do not talk about any facts with anyone but an attorney. Do not talk with police. Get an attorney immediately.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    You need legal help that is way beyond the ken of what can be provided for free in this forum.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    The allegation of sexual abuse is an atomic bomb. You can do very little short of documenting everything possible. Keep track of people who have witnesses you with your son, videos, pictures anything and everything. The allegation is sometimes used in divorce proceedings and again is very caustic. This type of allegation will always leave a huge taint on you even if deemed unfounded. You need to consult a lawyer ASAP.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Hire a criminal defense attorney IMMEDIATELY. If you have not been arrested, you will be contacted usually be a Detective. Do NOT give a statement until you have spoken to your attorney FIRST. Then if there ever is an arrest warrant issued, your attorney can make arrangements for you to turn yourself in. Good luck and don't talk to others about this accusation.
    First of all, do what you can to stay calm. It is the experience of police officers that if a suspect is nervous, he is hiding something. Secondly, Don't talk to your wife, your son and definitely the police about these allegations. As soon as a police officer wants to "hear you side of the story" say the following: I respect you and I understand that you are doing a job. However, I assert my rights to remain silent and to counsel. If the officer persists, keep saying that phrase over and over again until he or she stops. I can't stress enough that people, innocent people end up in prison because they wanted to be cooperative, helpful or to tell their story. Save it for court! Police detectives, who I highly respect, are trained in getting criminal suspects to talk. Don't shoot yourself in the foot, you have the right to remain silent and to an attorney; assert it! Lastly, if you can afford it, hire an attorney who specializes in defending accused child abusers. If they have been in practice from ten to twenty years, they have defended this kind of charge and are familiar with all of the wrinkles in such a case. There are issues concerning how a child is interviewed because children are highly suggestible. The police may ask you to take a polygraph test. Don't do it unless an experienced sex offense defender tells you to. While the lie detector test is not admissible typically in court, it is a powerful tool of investigation. Now you are free to disbelieve me but you do so with the knowledge that I have practiced law for twenty years as both a prosecutor and defender and twenty years is about the amount of time you would spend in prison if you are convicted so blow me off at your own peril. It's very important that you have a skilled and experienced lawyer who defends this kind of case. I do not but there are plenty of excellent lawyers out there who do; especially in Seattle, Portland, and Spokane.
    The McKellar Law Firm, PLLC
    The McKellar Law Firm, PLLC | Norman McKellar
    The best answer I can give you is to contact a qualified attorney immediately. A case of this magnitude has the power to destroy your life and the lives of those around you. Act without delay in building your defense.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You should hire an attorney IMMEDIATELY. If your wife has already gone to the police, they are likely going to want to question you. Never answer any questions without your attorney present.
    Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately for specific advice on your situation.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Jeremy Geigle
    Child molestation ranks as one of the most serious crimes in Arizona. The damage to families on both sides of the abuse can be overwhelming. And the accusation alone can cause a tremendous amount of damage even if not true. If you have been accused of child molestation and have not been charged yet, it would be important to hire an attorney that can help you gather evidence to mitigate the charges or help demonstrate your innocence. If a doctor has reason to believe that a child has been molested, he or she must report it to the police or be subject to potential felony charges.
    This is a very serious charge with life long consequences. You need an attorney NOW.
    You are alleged to have molested your son. You should immediately seek and hire counsel and follow their advise fully and completely.

Make no statement regarding this matter to anyone other than your attorney. Do not agree to a polygraph or to answer questions from law enforcement of any child protective services department unless you are doing so based on advise from counsel.
    Anderson & Carnahan
    Anderson & Carnahan | Stephen Anderson
    You should talk to an attorney who has familiarity with defending sex crimes. We would be glad to discuss your options.
    If your wife is making false accusations to the police you should contact the police and tell them they are false and tell your wife if she does not stop you may file a police report against her for filing false reports. You may also have a case for Defamation of character if the information is made public. You may need to hire an attorney. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    There are thousands of false accusations concerning child molestation that have been made, and many more thousands that are true. Children make up strange stories, and women can try to get even or obtain custody by making false complaints to the police. They use this to get an upper hand in custody disputes or failed marriages, or to get sympathy. There was a weather girl in New York that made a false rape complaint in order to get sympathy at work, and the police caught her because her story did not hold up under questioning. Unfortunately, not all detectives will grill the alleged "victim" or the person that makes the complaint on behalf of another, but it is necessary since such charges can devestate a person and ruin their reputation. Children under eight are seldom good enough witnesses to get a conviction unless there is DNA or eye-witnesses, and the police know this, so they will ask the suspect to come down and have the detectives try to get an admission, often with threats, trickery, or false promises......which our Supreme Court has condoned. That is why anyone accused of a crime should call an attorney and never talk to the police...under any circumstances.If you have been falsely accused it is important to have an alibi for where you were when the alleged crime was committed, but if you are being set up, your wife will say whatever is necessary to make her accusation stick, so don't antagonize her, let your attorney handle the matter and make sure that the evidence is carefully scrutinized to see if it is a false accusation. Detectives are well aware that women are known to do this sort of thing...and men seldom do. Perhaps this is because women seldom molest children and it would be harder to make such an accusation. Teachers are increasingly being accused of molesting children, and mothers can misinterpret something a young child of five says about their teacher or father. They can question the child in such a way that they put the idea into their heads, either intentionally or not, and when the child is interviewed they will say what their mother put into their memory. Considering that such charges can result in ten year prison sentences and sex-offender registration, it is wise not to upset the wrong woman or be alone with children if you are in a position of being falsely accused, and never touch a child in their private parts, or even near there because women often instruct their children to report any such touching. Call me for a free consultation anytime.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    First you need to find out why she thinks that you are molesting your son. Then you need to figure out if someone else is? The doctor's visit should have been able to determine if he was being molested. Discuss this with your Wife and possibly take the child to a child psychiatrist. I really do not know what else to suggest. You can't ignore it, because this is potentially a reason for divorce and possible criminal charges. Good Luck.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Prepare to defend yourself in court if charges are filed. Consult a lawyer about talking to police (or not talking).
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Accusing you and proving it are two entirely different things. Since he is so young it is doubtful he could testify, and unless there is a witness or physical evidence there is no case against you.
    See a lawyer who handles criminal and domestic relations matters. You may need to move out of your house to avoid unfounded criminal charges.
    We would encourage you to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction as soon as possible, because this is a very serious allegation and you need to consult with your own lawyer about your important rights and options. Good luck!
    Law Office of Tim W. Avery
    Law Office of Tim W. Avery | Tim W. Avery
    You need to consult with an attorney immediately before you talk to anybody. Do not (with emphasis added) talk to the police or CPS without first consulting with an attorney. They are not your friends and usually already have their minds made up before talking to you. Again, consult with an attorney immediately.
    This is, unfortunately, a quite common allegation in divorces giving the wife a terrific advantage re visitation, custody, etc. My advice is to lawyer up and not talk to the cops as they will distort what you say. If she claims she is the only witness and the kid is 4 they will probably not prosecute - but if you are in a jurisdiction where the cops are pigs and the DAs are worse, you have got
    some serious problems my friend. If you live near Alameda County, call me. If not near Alameda I can refer you to some honest lawyers who will not rip you off.
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
    Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
    This is a very serious charge. You must obtain legal representation immediately. the lawyer will properly advise you what actions to take if arrested, questioned by the police, or investigators. If the police do attempt to question you, ask for a lawyer before making any statements.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    Retain a criminal attorney and do not speak to the police or your wife. Do not provide a statement to anyone or talk about the situation until after you consult with an attorney.
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy
    Law Offices of Ryan P. Murphy | Ryan P. Murphy
    First, do not speak with the authorities of any kind. If your going to be arrested, then better not say anything.

Second, contact a criminal law attorney in your county that concentrates on child abuse cases. These are not treated lightly.. Call me first for a quick consultation. I might not be the attorney for you, but a couple of my colleagues are very talented in these areas.
    You can consult with an attorney and begin to prepare for an accusation and arrest. Other than preparing (taking photos of your son, making a list of everyone that has been in the company of both you and your son, avoiding all porn internet sites, which the prosecutor may argue indicates your proclivities)for an arrest, there is nothing to do.
    Hire a criminal defense attorney immediately, do not speak to law enforcement or any other authorities about this.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Contact an attorney immediately! Do not discuss the situation with anyone other than YOUR attorney. Do not give any statements or interviews with law enforcement.
    Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker
    Law Offices of Jack N. Whitaker | Jack Nathan Whitaker
    Keep your mouth shut and talk to an attorney. Anything you say will be used against you.
    Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC
    Kathleen N. Carey Law Offices, PLC | Kathleen N. Carey
    You should seek an attorney and do not answer any questions or take any phone calls (they will probably be recorded) that may attempt to trap you into saying something that can be used against you, including something that may seem harmless. These allegations are very serious and usually have long term prison and sex offender registration consequences.
    Law Office of John Schum, LLC
    Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
    I hate to not be able to answer your question why your wife would say this. Unfortunately I don't know. If you were contemplating divorce, wives frequently make these allegations to get better custody arrangements and to keep you busy with these allegations and not the divorce.

If your son had some type of injury this may have been done to point the cause of the injury towards you and away from the real person. If the doctors don't find an injury that does not mean this will go away. If your son says you did this, the police and prosecutor will continue to push this to court. If there is no injury and he says you did not touch or hurt him this would be very helpful and maybe even enough to stop this. If it still moves forward to court under these facts, we would be in a good position to win.

I am most interested on what the doctors found and what your son may have said, if he said anything. With younger children, they sometimes say things that are completely wrong or misunderstood.

I would be glad to meet next week and discuss the situation further and give you more insight on what may happen. From what you told me, I think there will at least be a family court supervision case opened and possibly a criminal case. How they will turn out depends on all the facts.

I recently got a full acquittal in a similar case so am very well versed on this type of litigation. Please call me if you would like to discuss this more.

Good luck and I wish you the best with these allegations. They are not easy ones to handle and automatically make people suspicious. I should be able to help you deal with all of this.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    In situations like these, I recommend hiring an attorney to represent you in the investigative stage of any criminal charge. Pre-indictment representation ensures that you will be protected during investigations, including any interviews with law enforcement. Many attorneys charge low and reasonable fees for this service.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    These are very serious charges. Do not talk to anyone. Call us or another lawyer immediately.
    The Connelly Firm P.C.
    The Connelly Firm P.C. | Thomas Connelly
    You should retain an attorney immediately. Do not make any statements to anyone about the allegations, including your son and your wife, and, more importantly law enforcement and/or medical providers.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Without meaning to put the fear of God in you, be concerned. Be very concerned.

Your first step should be to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area immediately. This is not something to mess around with.

Do NOT discuss even the allegations with anyone except an attorney in a confidential setting. Assume anything you say, even a complete denial of any allegations, to be twisted and used against you. Do NOT agree to discuss this with the police, social services or anyone without your attorney's say so. Do NOT discuss this over the phone with your wife, as he could well be working with the police and recording the call to try and get something incriminating from you.

Start contacting a good criminal defense attorney in your area NOW. You may want to contact one trusted friend - not to discuss the case, but as a person who you can call to assist with arranging bail, should the worst case scenario happen.
    Smith & John
    Smith & John | Kenneth Craig Smith, Jr.
    I would not speak with anyone, including the police, until you have consulted an attorney, which you should do immediately.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney