My mother is here for a visit, can I apply for my mom's permanent resident status and how long would it take for her to become a resident? 12 Answers as of June 14, 2013

The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
More information is needed. Are you a U. S. Citizen? If not, then you cannot petitioner your mother. If so, do you earn the HHS threshold income necessary to support your dependent family members and your mother? The process requires forms and evidence. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney.
Dear Madam, You may most definitely petition for her, and she is able to apply for legal residence. U.S. State Department and USCIS policy still commands that a wait of 90 days on a B-2 visitors visa, or they will presume that the initial visa came out of fraud.
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. You can petition your mother. How long it will take will depend on many factors including whether you are a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case, advise you of your options and, if possible, make sure that the necessary paperwork and documentation is presented so as not to delay the process.
Yes, if she entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry and you are a US citizen, you can petition for your mother and she will be able to get her permanent residence within the US. However, the timing of your petition has to be strategized so that it does not appear as misrepresentation of intent on your mother's part at the time of her entry as a visitor.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
You can, if you are a U.S. citizen. With all the paperwork done right, it should not take about 8 to 10 months.
    Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
    Assuming you are a US citizen, you can file green card petition for your mother. Processing time for a concurrently filed I-130 petition and adjustment of status application [green card] should be no more than 6 months, if done properly. You should consider retaining an attorney to help you with the paperwork.
    Donald Harris Law Firm | Donald Harris
    Yes you can apply for permanent resident status while she is here. The time it will take will depend on several factors, but consider 6 to 9 months as the average time.
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    Yes, if you're a USA citizen and she's otherwise eligible. It takes 2-12 months depending on what city you live in, and varying processing times.
    Immigration Law Offices, LLP
    Immigration Law Offices, LLP | Fakhrudeen Hussain
    Yes you can it can about 6 months to get her Green Card.
    The answer depends upon your immigration status and her intentions when she came to visit.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    Your mom can apply through you if you are a US citizen and at least 21 years old. It takes on average 3 to 4 months for her to receive a green card.