My live in boyfriend of 22 years died, am I legally required to give his belongings to his grown daughter? 2 Answers as of January 27, 2015

My boyfriend died in a bicycle accident. After the accident they did emergency brain surgery in which his daughter and myself both signed the release to give hospital permission too do the surgery. After the surgery he was on life support for 2 days. They unplugged him and he died peacefully. His mom, daughter, sister, and sister in law were at hospital. We are homeless and have began living at the river for about a year. Now his daughter and sister came to my camp and demanded all his belongings. This is our home not his home. I have no problem giving some personal belongings to his daughter to help her feel close too him but she wants to take whatever she wants and some of those things are my belongings like my bike, our dog, and our horse for example. Am I required by law to relinquish any of his belongings? And if so is there a certain amount of time I have to relinquish his possessions? They told me I have 24 hours to give them what they want. What are my legal rights as we were not married but together 22 years and living together.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Without a trust or will you have intestate succession, and an unmarried companion cannot receive anything in that scenario.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2015
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
Unless he had a will giving the property to you, his daughter is the heir. I would try to pick some things you really, really want and ask her nicely in the hopes she will allow you to have them. I am sorry for your loss.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2015
Click to View More Answers: