My fiancee is not a US citizen but we plan on living in the US. Where should we get married? 8 Answers as of January 17, 2011

My fiancee lives in Germany and is not a US citizen. After we get married, we plan to live full time in the US. Where should we get married so that my wife will be able to live in America?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You may get married anywhere you want and the U.s. would recognize any marriage that is legal in the place where it was entered into. Just getting married though does not get your fiance the right to live in the U.S. there are two ways to obtain permanent residency: 1) If she is in the U.S. after a legal entry (or during the 90 day period of the visa waiver entry and you then decide to get married here), all documents can be filed and processed here; but caution that you cannot enter on a visitor visa or visa waiver and intend to get married and stay. This is called a one-stop because first and second stage documents are filed together and generally results in permanent residency in 4-6 months after a joint interview at a USCIS office in the U.S. Once this case is on file your fiance will not be able to travel until the travel permit arrives (approximately 60-90 days). 2) Alternatively you can get married anywhere, petition for your spouse and once this is approved, Department of State forms and fees are filed and ultimately there will be an interview at the U.S. consulate abroad for your fiance only you do not need to attend. Costs are approximately the same for both procedures $4065 for attorney fees, filing fees, and costs + medical exam fee. We would be happy to consult with either or both of you on the timing, procedures and costs. We do charge for consultations $350 per hour but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case as indicated above. A consultation can be scheduled by contacting my office below.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
You can marry either in Germany or in the US. The immigration process is going to be different depending on where you marry.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
The place of your marriage has no impact on her ability to live in the United States. If you marry in Germany you would just have to make sure that you obtain an English translation of your German marriage license so that USCIS can read it. There may be some procedural considerations and you should consult an immigration lawyer in order to fully understand what the process of your future wife moving to the United States entails.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/15/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It does not matter.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/14/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
If you are a US citizen, you can sponsor your spouse to immigrant to the US.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 1/14/2011
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    You can get married wherever you want, but where you get married does affect which petitions you file for immigration. Are you a US citizen? If so, you may bring your fiancee here on a fiancee visa (nonimmigrant status), marry within 90 days, then adjust status to immigrant. The spouse of a US citizen is eligible for immediate processing from our US Consulates in Germany. Are you a legal resident of the US? If so, it is better to get married in Germany, because you cannot sponsor a fiancee's immigration. Your spouse will have to wait for a visa to become available. Caution: If your fiancee comes here on a visa waiver program, she cannot adjust to immigrant status. She will have to leave the USA and re-enter as an immigrant. Immigration law applies to all fifty states.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/14/2011
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    You can get married in Germany and petition her as your spouse or you can petition as a fiance (K1 visa) and then get married in the US after she arrives as a K1. Both will result in her being able to come and live in the U.S. While a fiance visa may take less time for her to come to the U.S, it requires additional steps (and additional costs) after she is here to get her Green Card. Which one you is "best" depends on a lot of factors that you should discuss with an immigrant attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/14/2011
    Law Office of Christine Troy
    Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
    You are able to marry in or outside of the United States. The real question is what steps will she need to take in order to obtain the green card. She may be able to apply in the US but if she is not here already, then you will probably need to consular process. I highly recommend that you consult with a competent immigration attorney, like myself or another of your preference, in order to have her case fully analyzed and to determine the best way forward.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: