My felony is 25 years old, can I get it sealed? 9 Answers as of June 26, 2013

My felony is none violent and I didn't serve time in the pen. I also have a clean record since then. How much will this cost?

It's really hard to get records sealed unless they deal with juveniles or other matters of sensitivity. You may be eligible for an expungement as long as you have nothing else on your record including misdemeanors or juvenile adjudications. You will be eligible as long as it wasn't a felony CSC or a felony with a possible life sentence. If you do the expungement yourself, expect to shell out a $300-400 in out-of-pocket expense. If you hire an attorney, expect anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 with $1,500 probably being the median.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
My first advice would be to obtain an attorney to assist you with this matter. You may be eligible to expunge that prior conviction. Expunging a crime in Michigan is complicated. This response does not contain specific legal advice. If you need specific legal advice for your own circumstances, I recommend consulting with an attorney experienced with these types of matters. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. Speaking in general terms, there are several significant obstacles to getting offenses expunged in Michigan. Expunging a criminal charge is great way of clearing up past mistakes. However, there are a series of obstacles. First, an applicant must only have one, single, count or charge, whether it's a misdemeanor or felony. If a person has more than one conviction on their record, whether it was multiple counts from the original case, or separate convictions, they are not eligible. Second, certain offenses cannot be expunged. Traffic offenses for example, even something as simple as driving on a suspended license, a lot of high level or capital felonies, and other offenses as listed in the applicable statutes, cannot be expunged. It depends on which offense is currently on the person's record. Additionally, even if a person only had one offense, if they had issues with probation, i.e., probation violations or other infractions while serving their sentence, that may be obstacle as well. There is also a time limitation. Any effort to expunge an offense cannot commence until five years after the date of conviction. Lastly, expunging an offense from a criminal record takes time, requires a lot of paperwork, carries some notable costs, and eventually, applicants need to appear before a judge and convince the judge that they are worthy of having the offense expunged in order to complete the process. Please consult with and retain a criminal defense attorney, preferably an experienced one who has handled these matters, to assist you with the process.
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
We typically charge $1000 to do an expungement action as a retainer.
Fees will vary by attorney. In my office, for example, fees are generally based on a rate of $250 per hour. The amount of time will vary depending on the Court. The procedure is the same, however, and you will need to get your fingerprints taken for a fee, and then the attorney will send your fingerprints to Lansing for a clearance, which involves a fee to the State of Michigan, and then there may be a motion fee (in most cases none, since it is a criminal case) and then the attorney time to prepare the Petition ad letters, and then the time to file and go to Court on the hearing. It can be as low as $750 or up to $1500 or more, depending on whether there is an adjournment, or some other glitch. So long as you have only one count, and no other felonies or misdemeanors on your record, then your judge will have the discretion, and would generally grant, a motion for expungement. I hope that this was helpful.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
It depends on what the felony conviction was for. Some felonies cannot be expunged. It also depends on when you got out of prison. You have to be out for at least 5 years. You should speak to a criminal defense lawyer and the additional facts necessary to give you a reliable answer.
    Rather than getting it "sealed," you would seek an expungement. Attorney generally charge an hourly rate for this type of work. The total cost would depend on the hourly rate and time spent.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Yes, $750.
    The answer to this depends and the number of prior convictions and several other matters. For example if the offense could be classified as a driving offense then the answer is no. If the prior matter had life as a maximum penalty then the answer is also no. And except with limited exceptions you can't get a felony expunged if you have more than one conviction. Consult an attorney to go over the details of you past.
    It depends on the kind of felony and as long as it is your only crime ever. I charge by the hour for these matters and have been extremely successful.