My father wants a copy of his daughter’s autopsy and toxicology report can he get it even if she had a husband? 18 Answers as of June 26, 2013

Only the estate of the deceased can get it.
I would suspect not but that is up to the authorities.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
The pathologist would probably provide a copy to the personal representative of his daughter's estate or, if there is no estate, to the nearest of kin requesting it. This would probably be the husband, but the father can certainly ask for a copy. I am unaware of any reason why he would be unable to obtain one.
Not likely to be released to him.
Why can't he get it from the husband? He can ask investigator (medical examiner) for the report.
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Probably not unless she was a minor.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    You should be able to confirm the availability of the document with Coroner's office.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Check with the Medical Examiner's office. They have a protocol to follow in terms of who they are authorized to release the report to.
    Law Offices of Benjamin D. Pelton | Benjamin D. Pelton
    I think you can get it from the va office of vital statistics in richmond.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    If there is any hint that you may have been the victim of foul play, tell your dad to reach out to the District Attorney's Office in the County where she died. If not, then he may need to get a lawyer to help him. I am sorry for your family's loss. It is hard to imagine that pain you father feels. God Bless.
    In South Carolina, I do not think so. I know he cannot get her medical records. I believe the personal representative of her estate is the only person who can get these records. If no one has opened an estae, he could apply to open an estate and be appointed PR. However, the surviving husband has priority over him.
    Whoever is in charge of her estate will definitely be entitled to the report. If your father is not in charge, the forensic lab probably won't release it to him. He can try and see if they will, though. If they won't, there are some alternative ways he may be able to go such as getting a court ordered subpoena. His best bet is to get the husband to get it and then get a copy from him. If that's not an option, he'll probably have to hire a lawyer to get a judge to issue a subpoena for it. Good luck.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    If he suspects foul play, he should voice his concerns to the police.
    Have we got a pushing and shoving contest here normally the next of kin have no problem getting such information or the administrator/executor of the estate. If there is a problem ask a local lawyer to go to bat for you.
    I hate to give you a vague answer, but probably not. I do not think he has "standing" in other words, grounds to get a copy. But, he can try, by making a Freedom of Information request through the law of the state where his daughter passed.
    If she was a married and adult he should engage an attorney to look into the situation. What was the cause of death listed on the death certificate?