My father wants a copy of his daughter’s autopsy and toxicology report can he get it even if she had a husband? 18 Answers as of June 26, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Only the estate of the deceased can get it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/13/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
I would suspect not but that is up to the authorities.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/13/2013
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
The pathologist would probably provide a copy to the personal representative of his daughter's estate or, if there is no estate, to the nearest of kin requesting it. This would probably be the husband, but the father can certainly ask for a copy. I am unaware of any reason why he would be unable to obtain one.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/12/2013
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
Not likely to be released to him.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/12/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Why can't he get it from the husband? He can ask investigator (medical examiner) for the report.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/12/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Probably not unless she was a minor.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    You should be able to confirm the availability of the document with Coroner's office.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Check with the Medical Examiner's office. They have a protocol to follow in terms of who they are authorized to release the report to.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Law Offices of Benjamin D. Pelton | Benjamin D. Pelton
    I think you can get it from the va office of vital statistics in richmond.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    If there is any hint that you may have been the victim of foul play, tell your dad to reach out to the District Attorney's Office in the County where she died. If not, then he may need to get a lawyer to help him. I am sorry for your family's loss. It is hard to imagine that pain you father feels. God Bless.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    In South Carolina, I do not think so. I know he cannot get her medical records. I believe the personal representative of her estate is the only person who can get these records. If no one has opened an estae, he could apply to open an estate and be appointed PR. However, the surviving husband has priority over him.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Whoever is in charge of her estate will definitely be entitled to the report. If your father is not in charge, the forensic lab probably won't release it to him. He can try and see if they will, though. If they won't, there are some alternative ways he may be able to go such as getting a court ordered subpoena. His best bet is to get the husband to get it and then get a copy from him. If that's not an option, he'll probably have to hire a lawyer to get a judge to issue a subpoena for it. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    If he suspects foul play, he should voice his concerns to the police.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Have we got a pushing and shoving contest here normally the next of kin have no problem getting such information or the administrator/executor of the estate. If there is a problem ask a local lawyer to go to bat for you.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    I hate to give you a vague answer, but probably not. I do not think he has "standing" in other words, grounds to get a copy. But, he can try, by making a Freedom of Information request through the law of the state where his daughter passed.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 2/12/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If she was a married and adult he should engage an attorney to look into the situation. What was the cause of death listed on the death certificate?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/12/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney