My father has permanent residency and was deported, how can he come back legally? 3 Answers as of June 14, 2011

My father (US and North Carolina resident) has had his permanent residency since the 80's and made the mistake of not applying for citizenship. He also made a mistake last year by catching a drug charge (intent to sell and distribute) that was a felony of course. He didn't get a sentence but was given probation for 5 years and finished in a year for good behavior I guess you could say. After he paid his dues, he renewed his residency and received it with no issue. Weeks after that, he was unexpectedly taken by immigration and is now waiting to be deported (Immigration says there's no chance of him getting out of it). What does he need to do to get back. My mom (US born citizen) is moving to Mexico with him after he's deported. What steps should be taken? Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Unfortunately drug dealing is a firm ground for inadmissibility. He may not be able to come back even after 10 years, depending on his removal order. If he is still dealing drugs, don't even try. If he is truly a good person now, he may be, again, maybe, at the discretion of general counsel of USCIS, approved for a waiver. You are suggested to hire a lawyer if you want to give it a shot.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/14/2011
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
He needs an attorney immediately. With that type of conviction there may not be anything he can do, but it is very fact dependent and you need to consult with an attorney right away.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/14/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
I'm afraid immigration authorities have corrected assessed your father's case, i.e., 'there is no chance of him getting out of it". He'll be deported to Mexico where he will have to wait at least10 years before he can be considered for reentry into the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: