My father's company said his beneficiary pension had expired, what do I do? 4 Answers as of March 18, 2015

Hi, my father was retired from a company and he had named me as his beneficiary for his pension my father passed away on July 20 2006 and when I contacted the company to in form them of his passing and that I needed to put my claim in as his beneficiary they told me that me being the beneficiary had expired.

Obtain for yourself a probate litigation lawyer who has experience in dealing with pension plan beneficiary claims? If father died 2006, why so late with your claim? There may be a time statute barring any type of pension claim as a beneficiary.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
If you just made the claim, after 9 years, it is likely the claim has expired and you have no chance of recovery. If I am reading that wrong, speak with a probate attorney.
Demand a copy of the pension documents from the company and compare them with what you can find from your father. The documents will state how long the pension lasts; it might end upon his death or it might continue beyond that. If the pension continues beyond his death, then they were basically holding it for you in "trust" and should pay it over upon adequate proof as to who you are. Why are you acting now if he died in 2006.
If you waited almost 9 years to make your claim, your right to file a claim may have expired. Most pension plans require claims to be filed within a certain amount of time.