How do I file for contempt without an attorney? 6 Answers as of February 15, 2012

My ex husband is in contempt of a court order. How do I file for contempt without an attorney? I have already been to court, I have a court order that states that he owes me $8500.00 plus interest. He has not paid it in the allotted time frame, so he is in contempt. I cannot afford to pay for filing or an attorney to take him back to court. What can I do?

Speaker Law Firm
Speaker Law Firm | Theodore Speaker
Some courts have offices that can help you file a complaint. If they do not, go on the internet and see if you can find a form to file.
Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
If this is a child support order, you can open a case with your local child support enforcement office, and they would file a contempt action against him. If this is not a child support order, you really need to hire an attorney, or at least consult with an attorney.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
If you can't afford to pay the filing and service fee, you need to go to the clerk of the court which issued the decree and apply with a pauper's affidavit (in forma pauperis). The judge can waive the fees.
First of all contempt may not be the best way to collect. Things like garnishment may be more effective. So you cannot afford not to see a lawyer. As a general rule, if you are owed a large amount, you can hire a collection lawyer who will charge you a percentage of recovery but not need money up front.
VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
Contact "Legal Aid" to see If they will represent you at no cost.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
    Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
    It is a Motion in the court that issued the Order . It must be served on the other Party which the sheriff does for a fee. Attach the Order as an Exhibit and ask the court for a Contempt Order and Order of Garnishment.