My de facto relationship has ended, I will be moving to another state, how does that work in filing for bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of September 02, 2015

I won't have income initially, no savings and significant debt, although I own my car; I have no assets of any value. My partner supported me up until now. We lived together for four years. He has requested the separation. I really have nothing and am terrified for my financial future.

You can file. This won't be a problem. Sorry for the delay in answering.
You may chose to file for bankruptcy where you currently live. If you decide to file bankruptcy in your new state, you will need to live in that state for at least 91 days in order to be eligible to file in this new state. The state where you previously lived will control what exemptions you can use. You would need to live in the new state for at least 2 years to use the exemption laws in the new state. By the way, bankruptcy can only eliminate your past debt. Bankruptcy is not going to help you pay your future living expenses or help you to find a job. You may be asking bankruptcy to do something that is not realistic.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
If you move, the waiting period to file for bankruptcy in the new state is 91 days. You'll need to look into the automobile exemptions in the new state. However if you file as soon as allowed you'll be using California (assuming you live here now) exemptions which will protect a normal non luxury car. It's always a good idea to go see a knowledgeable, local bankruptcy attorney for specific advice. There may be other factors to consider that you haven't mentioned in your post.
As long as you are a resident for 180 days then you will be fine.
This event is unlikely to have any significant effect on a forthcoming bankruptcy.
    I would advise you to wait until you have employment, then file bankruptcy. You're obviously going to incur more debt until you have income coming in, so it doesn't make sense to file bankruptcy now, when you can wait until you've stopped building debt.
    Consult with a bankruptcy attorney here or in the state you are moving to. Your financial future is up to you.