My court is out of state and I can't afford to go, what do I do? 3 Answers as of August 28, 2013

I lost my job this year and though I had been in contact with the child support enforcement agency, court paperwork was filed on me for failure to pay support. I called the courts, explained my situation and even asked to appear by phone. I was told I had no choice but to either appear in person or pay the $600 fine for contempt of a court order. I obviously can't do either. If someone can help me please. I have a new job offer to make really good money but can't start till this is taken care of.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Buchanan Law & Mediation Center | Terry Anne Buchanan
Contact a pro bono attorney in the state where the hearing is to be held to appear on your behalf.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/28/2013
John Russo | John Russo
What State are you in? I ask because every jurisdiction I am aware of has to offer telephonic hearings, Also who told you that?
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/28/2013
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
If you have a new job, best to immediately hire an experienced family law attorney where this case is being heard to protect your legal rights.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/28/2013
Click to View More Answers: