My company just changed the dress code requiring me to buy new shoes, do I have to pay for them or does the company? 7 Answers as of May 29, 2013

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
You probably do, unless they are a reimbursed expense. Look at the employee handbook.
You do.
Law Office of Fred Shahrooz-Scampato, PC | Fred Shahrooz-Scampato
Can you wear the shoes outside of work, or are they telling you that you can only wear them at work and have to keep them there?
Steven Miller | Steven Miller
Great question! If the shoes are specialized for work (e.g. non-slip, steel toe boots, special unique color (not black), the answer is most likely yes pursuant to California labor code section 2802. I have prosecuted many 2802 shoe cases, and employers cannot do that.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Your responsibility. You may quit if you do not want to comply with a reasonable request.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You probably must pay for them but they are tax deductible. The exception would be if you and a written agreement or your union's collective bargaining agreement require that your employer pay.
    Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
    If you are talking about personal protective equipment required by CAL/OSHA, the employer must pay.