Can a child of 15 choose where to live? 2 Answers as of November 08, 2011

My daughter is 15 and there is a parenting plan involved but the other parent she is residing with is mentally ill. Is it possible for my kid to choose where she wants to stay?

Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc.
Wolfstone, Panchot & Bloch, P.S., Inc. | Mark Brown
Under Washington state law, your daughter must be a legal adult (i.e., 18 years of age, or have obtained a court Decree of Legal Emancipation) in order to choose the parent with whom she will reside. Until she is a legal adult, your recourse is to start a legal proceeding in court to modify your existing Parenting Plan. Whether adequate grounds exist to modify the Parenting Plan depends on the specific facts of your case. You should consult with an attorney in the county in which you reside.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
No. The reality is (in spite of the urban legends) your child does not get to call the shots until he or she is 18. Now, the court may, but need not, consider the wishes of a child that shows sufficient mental and emotional maturity. But, this is up to the discretion of the court.