My brother died with no will, no children and was not married, would his possessions go to his mother and/or two sisters? 19 Answers as of September 18, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
In Missouri, the property would be divided evenly between mother and sisters.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/18/2013
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
It depends on the intestate laws of the state where he died.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 9/17/2013
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, under the intestacy (no will) rules the net estate of a decedent with no surviving spouse or issue (children, grandchildren, etc.) should pass to the surviving parent(s).
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 9/11/2013
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons
Law Office of Patricia A. Simmons | Patrica A Simmons
In California, if an unmarried person dies without a will and no children, if the parents are still alive both parents are the closest relative to the deceased. If only one parent is alive, that parent is to receive your brother's possessions. Contact a probate attorney to discuss your concerns.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/4/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
They should go to his mother and father. Father dead, then to mom. She should start a probate estate to pay his bills and then take the rest.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 9/3/2013
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. His mother would be the intestate beneficiary under Nevada law. Depending upon the size of the estate, she may need to open a probate. Best of luck to you. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/3/2013
    The Law Offices of Juliet Gavriel
    The Law Offices of Juliet Gavriel | Juliet Gavriel
    If he did not have any accounts with designated beneficiary set up, then all his probate assets would go to his mother.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/3/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney