My attorney told me to max credit cards before bankruptcy, should I? 10 Answers as of October 17, 2017

My attorney told me if I haven’t already, I should max out my credit cards with Christmas coming etc but that I need to do so 90 days prior to filing. This makes me nervous. A couple I’ve had to for needs and I could do the same with another but again it makes me nervous.

You should find a competent attorney. If you incur debts with the intention of not paying them because you?re planning bankruptcy, you're discharge will be denied if the court discovers it. Obviously, this attorney is a hack who isn't familiar with bankruptcy law.
That is a bad idea.  Even though the 90-day deadline offers some protection, a credit card company can go after charges more than 90 days old if it has evidence of an intent to borrow money, (incur charges) with no intent or ability to repay them.
It should make you nervous. That is a federal offense, the lawyer should be reported to the Office of United States Trustee.
That would be a no.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
I would not do it. Purchases within 90 days are circumspect if they are not ordinary everyday purchases. Doing holiday shopping and then filing is a bad idea.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    Your attorney is not ethical. It is in violation of the bankruptcy code to advise a client to max out cards. It can also lead you to some serious problems. Find a new attorney.
    This is haphazard advice and highly unethical.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Sounds like bad advice to me. I always tell people if they are planning to file for bankruptcy they should stop using their credit cards.
    Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
    No no no no no no no!!!!!!!! That attorney is committing malpractice by telling you this. Using your credit card immediately before filing for bankruptcy, unless it is an absolute emergency, opens you up to claims of fraud. Do you not do this.
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    No, and find a new attorney. This one will get you into trouble.