Must I show proof of LPR status when I file form N-600? 2 Answers as of November 12, 2010

I was born in Canada in May 1956. My parents brought me to Calif. in Dec 1956, they were both naturalized in 1963. Both have passed away. I have lived in US non-stop since 1956. I have their Naturalization originals, my father's Declaration of Intent, their passports. I do Not have anything that shows how I myself arrived in the US. Nor do I have a green card or an A-Number. I have spent months searching the NARA archives to find any documentation on myself with zero success.

My SS card was stolen years ago. I have SSA statements showing my earnings/work history dating back to 1971 but they will not issue a new card without proof of citizenship, makes getting employment extremely difficult.

So, must I show proof of LPR status when filing N-600? Any way to speed up the year long process?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The bottom line is that, in order for your parents to become naturalized, which they did when you were seven, they had to have been given legal permanent residency. For them to bring you in legally, which they obviously did, they had to include you on their application forms for adjustment of status, or its version that existed in the period of 1956-1963. They had to have their A number on their Naturalization application form. By sheer virtue of the fact that you should be able to show continuous residency with your parents through the whole period both prior to and subsequent to their naturalization, you would prove that you would qualify for automatic naturalization, since you were there at age 7! Ask CIS through a G-639 Freedom of Information Act request for their application for naturalization and their application for adjustment of status. If you want to discuss this further, contact me for a live consultation in person or over the phone.

Show proof of residency with your parents when they naturalized (school records for example), and THEIR application for LPR, and that should be enough with your N-600. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/12/2010
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
You should file for your N-600 and submit documentation showing your relationship with your parents and their naturalization. If the USCIS will request additional information you will be able to gather it or explain, depending on what is requested.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: