Legal liability, sewage from my neighbors on my property, who pays? Posted on September 08, 2010

I live in an old house on a hillside in Hollywood. My 4" drain line goes down the slope to the city sewer below. I renewed it 5 years ago, building inspector approved.
Because of a line break being repaired, I discovered quite by accident that 3 neighbors across the road above me were sending their sewage into my line. Their line had "sunk" on my property, causing a hidden pool of raw sewage under the tiled patio. I checked my title deed and there is no mention of an easement, they say it was grandfathered years ago.
I and my wife have moved to a hotel, for this is a dangerous threat. I want to dig it out, test the soil, expose the pipe layout and plug them off to end the intrusion. It will be a very expensive operation. My neighbors say it is my problem to fix it, so nothing is happening.