Is Youtube converter to mp3 legal for personal use only? 2 Answers as of January 16, 2014

I've been told various things: that it's legal only for personal (I'm not planning on making copies and selling them). It's just for me to listen to music on the iPod. Then I'm told that it is over all illegal. People have recommend to use FrostWire, but I'm a bit hesitant with using that, especially with the case of LimeWire. I would really like this to be clarified. Thank you.

If the item is copyrighted, there is no exception for "personal use only." However, in some situations, such as the termination of a certain type of technology, you can make a copy to use on new technology (assuming you purchased the original item lawfully).
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
This is a difficult question in many ways. This is a topic that probably won't be played out for many years to come. My best suggestion is that, if a song recording is available for purchase as an mp3 on Itunes or Amazon or elsewhere, that you simply buy it. That is the safest, most legal route. If a particular song or recording is on Youtube, but not available for purchase and you want to listen to it in your ipod for your own personal use, my opinion is that it is legal to convert it to mp3. However, others may deem this as copyright infringement and start lawsuits. I have not heard of any such lawsuits yet. If you like music, try to support the artists by buying their songs. If it is available to buy and instead you are copying it by other means, yes, you are looking for trouble.