Is a verbal agreement like this legally binding especially with regard to receiving and giving notice to vacate the property-as in 30 days notice? 7 Answers as of November 22, 2013

I am in the process of renting a house. The landlord wants to have a "gentlemen's handshake" agreement, month-to-month, nothing in writing at all. I want to be sure that he can't just "throw me out" without giving me notice, or do something else that's crazy. Is this verbal agreement legally binding-or should I insist on something in writing?

Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Oral rental agreements can be binding if carried out but written agreements are preferable and is the only way you could insure that you are not just "thrown out".
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Verbal leases are valid in Michigan if the term of the lease is less than 1 year. A landlord has to give you 30 days written notice prior to end the lease (7 days if you are not paying) even if the lease is verbal. Google the "Michigan landlord tenant handbook" and download it from the state of Michigan's website to more fully investigate your rights as a tenant.
Luftman, Heck & Associates LLP
Luftman, Heck & Associates LLP | Matthew Alden
Verbal agreements are legally binding in Ohio. They cannot evict you without giving you a written 3 day notice to vacate even if you have just a "gentleman's agreement". If you can get a written lease, try to do so, though.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
It not binding, there are month to lease out there I would recommend one. No lease no rules.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
This is the third time in 2 days I have seen this post. Yes.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
    Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
    Verbal agreements are okay, but there are still obligations imposed on a landlord by the landlord tenant act. You must still be given a number of disclosures, and if a deposit is taken, it must be accompanied by a written condition report. So ultimately, a landlord should just proceed with a written agreement. If you still move in, the act requires that you be given specific notices, such as a 3-day notice to pay or vacate, a 10-day to comply, or a 20-day to vacate. These notices must be served a specific way as well. So the short answer is that you cannot just be thrown out without proper notice, but you really should have something in writing to protect yourself as well as the landlord.
    Law Office of Rebekah Sass
    Law Office of Rebekah Sass | Rebekah Sass
    Get a written lease.