Is throwing a party of 400 persons in warehouse allowed and is serving alcohol to the guest allowed? 18 Answers as of July 17, 2013

The occupancy will not exceed the warehouse max occupancy. ID's will not be checked. The warehouse is far from private property and sound complaints are not an issue. The party (drinking, music and lighting) cannot be seen or heard from the street. Also can we charge an entrance fee?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Entertainment Law Partners
Entertainment Law Partners | Tifanie Jodeh
You must examine liquor laws, underage drinking and the warehouse rules. also consider insurance coverage regarding alcohol, occupancy and use.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/4/2012
Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Whether you can charge an entrance fee depends up the jurisdiction in which the party is If you are selling liquor you need a liquor license.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 10/2/2012
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC
The Lucky Law Firm, PLC | Robert Morrison Lucky
You should call the city or the parish to check for the requirements of operating such an operation. Charging admission usually takes the get together to a whole other level. Plus, the inclusion of serving alcohol with no IDs being checked may add some difficulties for you.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 10/3/2012
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
Service of alcohol to minors is a crime. You should call the police.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/1/2012
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
If anyone under the legal age gets in and drinks alcohol, the hosts are liable. The hosts may also be liable if a fight breaks out, someone has a car accident after drinking at the party and harms themselves or another person or someone's property, someone gets sexually assaulted at the party or afterwards, someone gets alcohol poisoning, or a host of other possibilities. If by some chance such a party would be legal, it still sounds like a really bad idea.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 10/1/2012
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Throwing a party for a lot of folk is one thing but charging admission and dispensing alcohol makes it a commercial venture. You will likely need ABC permit. See a local lawyer who has experience in dealing with ABC issues.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 10/1/2012
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    This just sounds like a bad idea. A party is one thing, but once you charge an entrance fee it sounds like you intend to profit, which will require licences and permits, etc. You already state that "ID's will not be checked". What could go wrong with that? If someone gets drunk and drives off and injures or kills somebody, you could find yourself on the wrong end of a serious lawsuit.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/1/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Need the details but it appears illegal as you are essentially selling the drinks and entertainment for the entry fee.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    If anyone is under 21 you cannot have alcohol. You can be charged in giving alcohol to a minor. You can charge an entrance fee.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    It depends greatly on the zoning ordinances for wherever the warehouse is. It likely requires a permit for such a gathering, but check with the city before doing it.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    No fee should be charged. That will make you look worse and more culpable in court. This sounds like an amateur rave. Bad things will happen but since you are amateurs, lock up the warehouse when you are done and walk away.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
    This is a local code enforcement issue. I doubt it is allowed.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You're asking a question and not providing the right information for any lawyer to formulate an answer, or the right answer. What business activities do the local ordinances allow, prohibit or restrict?
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 7/17/2013
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    I gave an in-depth answer for California, which is the other state in which I am licensed. Illinois law is very similar to California law on this, so please see my California answer. It is crucial to work closely with a lawyer on your plan. Chances are a warehouse is not zoned to have 400 visitors on one day. And that is just where the trouble begins. In some parts of Illinois, police have aggressively targeted raves and other large parties held in warehouses. Sometimes the police have come in and zip-tied all party-goers and held them for hours before either letting them go or officially arresting them. Holding a giant party without proper licensing can be a real disaster. It can also be a lot of fun if it works out. Talk with a lawyer about the particular location.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    You need to talk to a lawyer and get advice about the laws and rules in the particular county and city or town where you plan to do this. There is a fine line between holding a big private party and running a business. Your plan involves laws of all kinds: alcohol licensing, alcohol serving, entertainment licensing, zoning, building safety, fire safety regulations, noise laws, parking laws, and more. It is hard to pull off such a big party without being noticed. If you are charging admission, you are an entertainment business that must be licensed.If you are serving alcohol and not checking IDs, you can be arrested. If you are selling alcohol, you must be licensed. If anyone is injured or injures someone as a result of drinking, you may be liable. Let me give you a bit of advice: Even if all else works out fine, it is the parking that will stir up trouble. People do not like extra cars parking in their area, and they do not like people being loud as they walk to their cars. Another bit of advice: Never let anyone at such a party carry a drink outside the door. And yet another: When the police show up, as they inevitably will, you do not have to allow them in unless they have a warrant.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/29/2012
    Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
    Well, I think you need to obtain a license from the Liquor Control Commission. They have 1 day licenses. You can get in trouble if you serve minors. Beyond that, you will have to check with the LCC.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/29/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney