Is this a reasonable settlement amount? 16 Answers as of October 21, 2013

I was in an accident on 10/5/2013. I have neck and back pains along with my wife who was the passenger in my vehicle. It was the other person at fault so I am going through her insurance. I have not been able to go to work since the accident but I am currently unemployed but missed two jobs I know I could have been hired at. I can prove that I would have had the job and it is in the oil field and would have made around $2500 by now. My hospital bills were $2700 and the insurance is paying for it. The adjuster offered me $1000 for pain and suffering. My car was also at a total loss. Is this number low or reasonable?

End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
The number is unreasonable. You should wait to find out how well, or poorly, you recover from your injuries before trying to settle you case. You will probably do better if you hire a lawyer to represent you. Otherwise, the insurance company will try to take advantage of you.
It sounds low. If you are still receiving medical treatment, you should wait until you are released from the doctor before you settle. If you have been released and are pain free, it might be reasonable if they add lost wages to it.
E. Ray Critchett, LLC
E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
Unfortunately, it is impossible to evaluate your claim based on the information you provided. If you are still injured, it is too early to settle.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C.
Belushin Law Firm, P.C. | Vel Belushin
The amount of compensation cannot really be determined in a forum like this. Just do not try to negotiate with an insurance company without an attorney.
Property damage and personal injury are separate claims. The rule with property damage is that you are entitled to the cost of repairs or the value of the vehicle, whichever is lesser. Personal injury values vary widely from case to case and place to place. Experienced personal injury lawyers are familiar with those values. Consider consulting one.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    It is very low but nobody can say how low without reviewing your medical records. You would also want an affidavit from the employer you claim would have hired you to get lost wages.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    Although it is impossible to evaluate a case based upon the limited information provided, my first reaction is that the offer is too low. If you want a meaningful evaluation of your claim, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
    It sounds real low. Speak to an attorney who handles accident cases before you agree to any type of settlement.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Despite the indication that this is a Michigan question, it likely is not in that in Michigan you would collect your wage loss and medical bills from your own insurer. Further the injuries you suffered would have to meet the threshold of being a serious impairment of a body function in order for you to receive any compensation for pain and suffering from the other vehicle's insurer. In any event, a personal consultation with a local lawyer that regularly handles your type of matter would allow the best input after a discussion of all relevant fact as to liability and damages.
    Di Giacomo & Gruss | Christopher Di Giacomo
    In my experience, I would argue that the settlement is way too low and that you need a lot more.
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    Based on the limited information available, that number does not sound reasonable. Please keep in mind that once you enter into settlement, the settlement cannot later be undone if you realize your injuries are worse than you thought. You should consider retaining a personal injury attorney to represent you in this and to ensure you get all the compensation you are legally entitled to, such as past/future medical bills, past/future pain and suffering, past/future lost earnings, lost earning capacity, etc.
    You are trying real hard to make something big out of something small. The adjuster will usually offer you something like 1000 over your b ills. That is his way of saying you have a small claim. You will not likely change his opinion. If you lost jobs (and I am inclined to doubt it) you must prove that with medical testimony. Doctor must say you are unable to work and you must then prove the job offer would have been made otherwise and was denied on the basis of medical opinion I doubt if you can pull all this off. why don't you get a lawyer who knows such cases. by the way you could not have a serious injury and be talking about settling 16 days later. serious injuries take a while to heal.
    A. Dawn Hayes & Assoc. P.A.
    A. Dawn Hayes & Assoc. P.A. | A. Dawn Hayes
    No, it does not sound reasonable, however, you do not know yet whether your injuries are permanent. You have four years from the date of accident to either settle or file a lawsuit. If you have not already done so, go to a doctor/walk in clinic to document your complaints/injuries. Send the insurance company a demand, in writing, requesting,pursuant to Florida Statute 627.4137, disclosure of the policy limits coverage page including liability coverage, You are entitled to that information and it will let you know how much the insurance company has to bargain with.
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    Your submission indicates that you still have symptoms, so why would you settle after two weeks. Hire an attorney who is local to you.
    Julie Butcher Law Office
    Julie Butcher Law Office | Julie A. Butcher
    Frankly, I think if you thought it was reasonable, you wouldn't be asking. Right?
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
    Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
    With those limited facts I think it is low of course I rarely find initial offers from insurance adjusters anything other than low ball offers.