Is this real or a scam? 4 Answers as of March 11, 2014

Can you please tell me if this company is real or a scam.

First National Collection Bureau, Inc.
610 Waltham Way
Sparks, NV 89434

Dept. # 21377
PO Box 1259
Oaks, PA 19456

"This is to advise you that your delinquent account has been assigned to our office collection by the above mentioned client."

"A 70% discount payable in 5 payments of $63.99."

"We are not obligated to renew this offer."

I'm scared. Is this a real letter or a scam?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
I have not heard of that company, but call them the first thing you hear should be a statement that they are bill collectors. If so they are probably real.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2014
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
I have no idea. Google them. It could be a trick since the offer is so low. When did you last make a payment on this debt? It might be beyond the statute of limitations. If you have not made a payment or made charge on the account in over 4 years you do not have to pay it. (4 years is the statute of limitations in California).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/11/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
What I would suggest doing is googling the company, calling them and see if they make discounted offers by email. If they do not, then it is a scam. Honestly, I think it is a scam since they do not mention an account number or the amount you actually owe. You can also go the California Department of Consumer Affairs and see if they list any scams like this. If it were me, I would not send them any money.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2014
Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
It appears your debt was sold to this company. You can pay them what they demand or negotiate a better deal but make sure (a) you really owe the money, (b) the debt is not so old that it has become unenforceable (you'll need to talk with an attorney about that) and (c) you can afford to pay it without becoming insolvent. Questions like these really should be discussed with a lawyer face-to-face because there is not a "one size fits all" answer. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2014
Click to View More Answers: