Is this illegal for my landlord to just throw my belongings outside? 5 Answers as of August 01, 2013

I was renting a home through a rental company and was in the property for 3 weeks. I came home and all of my belongings were outside in the yard and my 2nd car was gone. It came that the prior homeowner was able to get their home back after foreclosure and came and put all of our belongings outside in the yard. They stated that they served us a eviction notice to leave the premises for not paying. I was confused because I have never seen these people before and I paid 1700 deposit and 2 additional months ahead of time to my rental company. The eviction notice was not made out to us and it was served before we even received a key to the home and signed the lease. Is this possible, even though we were there for 3 weeks with a lease? Should we sue the rental company? I really need answers. Things were stolen and damaged and I am unsure who to go after for the compensation. the prior homeowner stated he was an ex-cop. When I filed the police report at the station, I go back to pick it up and the officer never put it on record and the original document of which I wrote out is nowhere to be found. I have been going back up there for over a month. I really need advice, I feel as if I am stuck in the middle with no answers to how this happened. I was very humiliated, my entire house was outside....not in boxes, not itemized, not wrapped up and it was raining. I need direction on who to go after.

The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
This sounds like a very bad situation if it is as you state. Please retain a local attorney to assist you and handle your case.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
It is possible that a warrant of eviction was lawfully issued. Of course I don't know one way or the other. Search the records of the Court. Typically the Sheriff or City Marshal does the eviction. Ask them what they have. Sounds like you have a good lawsuit against the rental co but that is not a landlord tenant issue.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
It sounds like a wrongful eviction by the current owner, who's the person you should go after. There maybe also be an issue of the person who rented you not having the authority to do so, before a foreclosure was completed, and if so, you should go after that person as well.
William A. Siebert
William A. Siebert | William A. Siebert
Michigan does not recognize self-help evictions. You are entitled to $300 per day unless there is an order signed by a judge.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Sue the person who threw your belongings out.