Is this a debt validation letter? 7 Answers as of May 01, 2014

I received a letter from a law firm trying to collect a debt. I'm wondering if this is a debt validation letter (it is the 1st and only correspondence.) They listed the person's name trying to get the debt, they included a website address, and the amount. No mailing address for person who thinks I owe them money. Is this a debt validation letter and they sent it to me first to save time?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
No... ask them in writing to verify the debt.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
We would have to actually see the letter to know if it is a validation letter. Usually, it has language on the letter that states: "Unless you dispute this debt or any portion thereof, we will assume the debt is valid...." Then it goes on talking about how you have 30 days to submit a writing. That would be what is in a validation letter.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
No, it is not.
John Ceci PLLC
John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
My understanding of a "debt validation letter" is that is something you would send to the collection company disputing the validity of the debt and asking them to validate the debt. What you describe sounds like the typical letter that debt collectors send when they are trying to collect a debt.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
No. A Debt Validation Letter refers to a consumer's right to challenge a debt and/or receive written verification of a debt from a debt collector.