Is this custodial interference or just contempt of court order? 8 Answers as of September 24, 2013

I have a court order that states specifically when I can have parenting time with our child. I am the non residential parent. The order has been in effect for 3 years with only minor problems. Now the residential parent has completely stopped all visitation and will not allow it to begin again unless I provide him with a business contract that has nothing to do with me. I cannot legally get it either. The contempt hearing is not for 3 months. How can I see our child before then?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
It would seem that the original order is still in effect however if you make a motion to enforce it that hearing may be just as far away. Ask your lawyer to notify the other parent that this order is still in effect and they need to abide by it until something changes in court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/23/2013
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
I would suggest doing a petition for temporary orders. The court should set a hearing within 30 days of the filing.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 9/23/2013
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
Oklahoma, and perhaps other states as well, have an expedited process for a motion to compel visitation. The hearing is held within 21 days.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 9/23/2013
John Russo | John Russo
Why 3 months? The only way is to have an attorney try to get it heard on an emergency bases or at least an expedited one. You could try but Judges do like giving pro se party's expedited hearings, because for the most part they end up being a waste of time, everything is an emergency to the party's, if you understand my point.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 9/23/2013
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
Let me guess, the reason that the contempt hearing is scheduled three months away because your ex-husband has a lawyer who said his/her "busy schedule" had no openings until three months away. It is outrageous to scheduled for hearing a motion for contempt based upon a claim of denied parent time. That simply feeds into the denial of parent time for another three months.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 9/24/2013
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    File a motion to enforce placement. In WI the court is supposed to get you in within 30 days.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You need an attorney and could be filing for an immediate hearing. I agree with your assessment of this requirement to make amounts your visitation or parenting time makes no sense.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/23/2013
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
    The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
    Go talk to a nasty, smart divorce attorney near you, and take action. Nasty, smart action. Too bad you are not in New Jersey. I could help you. It is hard to find a good divorce lawyer who will fight for you and not charge an obscene amount of your money. Find someone who spends most of their time in divorces. Find someone who has been in court several times this year (2013) in the county courthouse where your divorce will be filed. If they don't go to court often, they are not the lawyer you want. And find someone who has handled at least three or four full and complete divorce trials.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 9/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: