Is this correct that the law says he had to go to jail even if I didn’t press charges? 3 Answers as of June 16, 2017

Tonight, my husband of 54 years, mentally, verbally and physically abused me. It isn't the first time, but he was very physically abusive. I’d finally called 911. They responded and he told them his story. I told them mine. They finally told me that the law says that even though I did not want them to put him in jail, they said the law said that they had to. They transported him to jail.

You may want to consider retaining an experienced criminal law specialist to represent you if you really object to his prosecution. The fact that you may want the charges dropped and the thing to go away doesn't mean it will be that easy. It is the police and the DA who recommend prosecution not the victims. Your attorney could work with your Husband's attorney both of whom would know how to approach the DA on your behalf.
What you want is irrelevant. The DA is the one who presses charges, not you.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
When you get the cops involved, bad things happen. Not really. But now the case against him will go forward. You need to talk to a lawyer to avoid your husband having a DV charge and doing more time.