Is this considered as age discrimination? 6 Answers as of April 10, 2014

I want to become a member at my local golf course. The course has discount rates for seniors (e.g. 65 and older) and college student discounts (e.g. 18-23), as well as Military active duty discounts. I am over 23 years of age and I am wondering if this could be age discrimination?

Ellis & Abouelsood | John Danelon
No, the protected class of "age discrimination" applies to elderly persons exclusively.
No, if you do not like their policies, you can go else where.
No, not even close.
You just cannot afford it. It is discrimination. It prevents those that do not have the money from joining. You do not have the money.
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
California's Unruh Civil Rights Act prohibits any sort of arbitrary discrimination in any kind of business. This is one of the broadest civil rights laws in the nation. Whether the golf course incentives you described would be considered discrimination is advice you might get from the Attorney General's Office. You can file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office, or your local district or city attorney. You can also file a private lawsuit.
    No. The purpose of these discounts is to help students who have less income, as they will probably stay members after graduation; to help seniors who are on limited income; to help military because of their limited income and the sacrifices they make. If you want to join the golf club and you want these discounts, you can join the military or wait until you are 65 or pay the regular fees. Quit complaining if you are playing golf, you can afford the club fees