Is there a way to stop a divorce in California? 7 Answers as of April 18, 2011

My wife filed for divorce while I am living out of state for work. Can I stop this? She has been vicious, and is just doing this to exploit me. Can I delay the process?

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
If your wife wants a divorce she can get it. You can slow it down by filing a response and you would be part of the divorce. If you don't respond she can default you and it is over. Your paperwork will say how much time you have to file the response.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
The divorce process can be delayed for many reasons. However this takes well planned affirmative action, which I can help you with. You do not need to come to California, we can handle most everything for you while you are out of state.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
There are ways to delay the process, but you will not be able to completely avoid/stop it from happening. Call us if you would like any assistance.
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
No, you cannot stop a divorce. If you wish to protect your rights, you should retain an attorney to protect your interests.
No, you can't delay the process. Your formal Response to the Petition must be filed and served within 30 days after you were served with the divorce papers, or your wife will be able to request entry of default against you, preventing you from participating in the divorce case. You should quickly contact and interview experienced Family Law Attorneys in the county in which the divorce case was filed, and retain one to prepare and timely file and serve your Response, advise you, and represent you in the divorce case. You should retain a Family Law Attorney who is willing and able to deal with you via telephone, FAX, e-mail and hard-mail.
    Pisarra and Grist
    Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
    Yes, if you are in the military she cannot move forward while you are deployed. Otherwise, you must respond.

I suggest you read my books, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY and A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY, available as an E-Book on my website. Best of luck.
    You cannot prevent her from dissolving the marriage, but you can ensure an equal division of assets and debts, as well as make sure that their are property support and custody orders (if appropriate) by filing a Response. If your case is in my area and you are looking for an attorney to assist you, please contact me for a free consultation.