Is there a way to sponsor someone that has been deported to come back? 2 Answers as of April 18, 2011

About 3 years ago a good friend of mine was deported back to his country after being in jail for many months. He married in the US to a "not so sane" woman and he really did love her but she told immigration that it was a marriage for a green card. Even though they are apart they are still in contact and she has never divorced him. Is there a way to sponsor him or fight for him to be able to come back and rescind the deportation? Curious.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can try to apply for a waiver for him if he can prove he is a changed man.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
There may be a way if the marriage can be shown to have been a good faith marriage. An inquiry into the reasons why the wife told USCIS that it was a "green card marriage" should be had. This is a matter for competent counsel to handle on your friend's behalf. I would look into the VAWA (violence against women act; it applies to all genders) among other provisions. The fact that the wife never divorced him is something that can be looked into further. I am curious as to whether the couple still considers itself as a married couple. If that is the case, then in my view there is a chance that something can be done. The other part of it is an inquiry into the reasons why your friend went to jail. Some criminal offenses are more difficult if not impossible to waive before the 10-year bar prescribed by law. An attorney will need to know more in order to handle a case like this. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: