Is there a way to reduce my DUI? 28 Answers as of May 30, 2013

My CDL was taken for a year because I got a DUI in my personal car. Is there a way to reduce that?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
I'd recommend you retain a lawyer to help you or you ask the court for legal counsel.You have a right to counsel. Don't be afraid to exercise that right. Generally speaking, there may be some appellate rights in some situations, which could provide some relief; albeit, the odds would possibly be long. In some situations, appealing through the Secretary of State may be an option. However, generally, professional drivers with CDL's need to fight an OUI charge while it is still pending and exhaust their appellate remedies right away; precisely to avoid this type of situation. The law is clear for the most part; professional drivers usually loose their professional license if convicted of an OUI.
Robert Mortland
Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
Yes, you can try to get a limited license.
There may be a possibility to have a restricted license to drive to and from work. You should consult with an experienced DUI attorney.
In some cases you may petition for a hearing before the Alabama Department of Public Safety for a hearing to have your driving privileges or CDL suspension hearing modified.
Harrison & Harrison
Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
No.
    The Law Firm of David Jolly
    The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
    If you are charged with a DUI you have two ways to lose your driver's license (and CDL). One way is losing the DOL hearing and the other is being convicted of the DUI. If you chose to enter the Deferred Prosecution program, and do it correctly, you can save your personal driver's license and not get it suspended. However, and importantly, the DP program does not save your CDL - you must win the DOL hearing and not be convicted of DUI to save the CDL. If this is a first DUI offense the CDL suspension is for 1 year (subsequent suspensions are lifetime). To answer you question, there is no way to reduce the 1 year CDL suspension. It is 1 year in length.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    With the DAs consent, a driving while intoxicated can be reduced to driving while impaired, a traffic infraction and not a crime.
    No.
    There is no way to reduce that at this point.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Your CDL should only be suspended in the event you are found guilty of DWI. If you already plead then there is little you can do. But you may need to call an appellate attorney. If you haven't plead to DWI, then don't and hire the best DWI attorney you can afford.
    It sounds like you have already been convicted. The fact that the DUI occurred in your personal vehicle is immaterial to you CDL license. Not knowing more about your case, I cannot say, but it is doubtful, especially when it comes to license suspension because it is the DOL that suspends the license, not the court. If you think you have some option, then you need to speak with an attorney who can review your case, but I would say you have a very poor chance of succeeding.
    Yes, if you hire the right DUI specialist. Even a slight reduction (ie. wet reckless) would mean no suspension of your license imposed by the court.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Yes, if your attorney can get the state's attorney to agree to reduce your charge to a lesser offense, like reckless driving, and rescind your summary suspension.
    Reduce my DUI If you mean reduce the length of suspension imposed by DMV, no, not unless you could convince an appellate judge to issue a Writ ordering that. Highly unlikely, and quite expensive in fees. You can appeal to DMV and apply for a restricted license after serving some portion of your hard suspension.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    You can try to get a hardship license if under 21.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    If you pled guilty, then you cannot now "reduce" your conviction.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    If is a first DUI a reduction may be possible but I would need more information.
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
    The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
    If you've already been sentenced, then it is unlikely that you can reduce that.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Potentially. Depending on the county, and BAC, it may be possible to reduce to a reckless driving or even a public intoxication. Further, depending on circumstances, it may be possible to dismiss it. I suggest you contact a local attorney to discuss the details and go from there.
    Lykins Law | Gerald Lykins
    Unfortunately, the answer is NO. Per the OWI statute, your CDL is suspended for 1 year upon a conviction under the 257.625