Is there a way to reduce a domestic violence charge? 10 Answers as of June 10, 2013

My boyfriend is facing some charges. Wut what matters to him is the domestic violence on his record since it can be lead to deportation for him. Can he get it reduced to something else?

Any case can be negotiated or even dismissed depending on many factors inc.the seriousness of the alleged offense. Your boyfriend needs a good lawyer, particularly if he is not a citizen as DV cases can be deportable as you seem to know.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
Whether or not your boyfriend's domestic violence charges can be reduced ultimately depends on the facts and circumstances involved. As such, more detail is needed to properly evaluate what is possible for his case. In order to get the best possible result, your boyfriend should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent him as this will maximize his chances of getting the right result. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
Can it be reduced? Absolutely. Will it? That depends on the facts, his record and what his attorney can work out for him. I'd suggest (if he hasn't already) make darn sure that his attorney is familiar with the immigration consequences of any deals being discussed. The US Supreme Court has held that criminal defense attorneys must be knowledgeable of immigration consequences and advise their clients. In your boyfriend's situation particularly, though - make very sure this is discussed with his attorney before he pleads guilty to anything.
Can the case end up being reduced or dropped? Of course. Is that likely, just because you want it? No. The police and DA don't spend time and money arresting, charging and prosecuting cases only to drop them because you 'want' them to. That's not how the system works, obviously. IF there are valid defenses, facts, evidence, witnesses, sympathies, etc. that would allow an attorney to defend the charges and keep the prosecutor from proving the case as alleged, then, yes, the case could be won. Won through motions, won at trial, or won by negotiated plea or dismissal. You won't know until you consult with counsel with ALL the facts. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    Maybe, but he needs the help of a good attorney. It simply depends on the details of the case: whether the complaining witness is willing to testify, the existence of other evidence against him, the degree of injury, his prior record, etc. He can call our office if he would like a free consultation. Good luck.
    It depends on the facts, his attorney, the judge and the DA. If its all right then it could be reduced. Call me with all the information and I can advice you.
    Yes it is always possible. The only way your boyfriend will get the reduction is if you hire a good attorney to assist him.
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    He may be able to. He should hire a criminal defense lawyer.
    Possibly. DV cases are hard to convict in court, because they inevitably involve a lot of he said she said. A skilled attorney will play this to the defense's advantage and navigate the case with the prosecutor with the ultimate goal of dismissal or at least a reduction to a non-DV charge.