Is there a way to confirm the existence of this medical coverage and the amount, if in fact these kinds of funds are available 4 Answers as of April 29, 2015

I had a fall in a laundromat and I'm in the middle of the litigation process. My attorney is pushing me to accept a $3000 settlement even though I need surgery in both knees. I understand that there is medical coverage under the business liability policy that I can claim besides the settlement. I want to make sure that my attorney and the defendant attorney won't keep these funds for themselves. One day, my attorney's assistant mentioned a medical coverage of $10,000 under the business liability policy whether or not the laundromat is responsible for the injuries. The next day, the attorney's assistant said again that the amount of that medical coverage was now $5000 and then my attorney said that there was not such medical coverage which made the situation very suspicious to me because the attorney's assistant was very sure when she mentioned to me about that medical coverage for the treatment of my injuries; now they're denying their statements. ?

Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
This is sounding paranoid. Get your settlement in writing and direct payment to you and your attorney jointly or solely to the respective medical provider(s). Medical insurance is for medical expenses not attorney anything.
I suppose that you could ask the laundromat management. Many liability policies have a $5,000 or $10,000 med-pay provision, that is available regardless of fault. If you think that a lawyer would throw away his license (and his livelihood) for this kind of money, you've been watching too much TV.
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
If you do not trust your attorney you should find another one that you can trust. Ask your present attorney what the liability limits the laundromat and the shopping center carry.
Speak to your attorney with the assistant present if possible. The medical coverage would not include you unless the insured, the store owner, is liable. Why would there be any insurance that would pay the medical bills of anyone who suffered an injury while in side the store, whether or not the store was at fault for the injury? I think the assistant mis-spoke or you misunderstood him/her.