Is there a way to bring my girlfriend to the US without waiting? 3 Answers as of April 19, 2011

I have a question regarding my girlfriend. She is in Nepal right now and I want to bring her to America as soon or as early as possible as I am a permanent resident of the US! She is applying as a student and if she comes here as a student can she become a permanent resident of the US. After she is given a temporary residence for two years by marrying me? Also if there is any other way to bring her without waiting for three years of legal processing?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If she is here as a student, then marry her already and your problem will be solved. If not, the only other thing I would suggest is for you to go over there and marry her (if that is what you ultimately want to do) and file a K-3 over there or come back and file it here. That should get things going on the right track. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Your girlfriend is allowed to enter the US as a student. However it is very important that when she does file for a green card, that she does this through consular processing, instead of applying through adjustment of status in the US. If a person knows she wants a green card when she enters the US and uses the latter system, that is considered visa fraud. However she is allowed to be in the US as a student while that application is pending and then go to the US consulate abroad for the interview.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
A lawful permanent resident cannot bring his or her girlfriend, period. You can file an I-130 petition, but there is no way to expedite the process as the quota is the quota and there is an approximately four year wait at this time. She can come as a student and wait out processing here, but be aware of the requirement for nonimmigrant visas (students).
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: