Is there a way that I can avoid losing my license after getting an MIP infraction in California? 8 Answers as of July 04, 2013

Last night I was at the beach and I got a Minor in Possession of alcohol charge. It was really bad timing as it wasn't even my drink in my hand. The cop saw the kid hand it to me but continued to give me the ticket. I am from Canada and do not know what this is going to do to me. Is there any way I cannot lose my license or get out of this some way as I am an athlete. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. They didn't breathalyze me or anything. What do I do?

On occasion a judge will let you do a alcohol education program and then dismiss the case. You probably need an attorney to try to work if out for you.
Call an attorney who specializes in DUIs.
This is a very minor charge, and there is a good chance that an experienced attorney may be able to talk the prosecutor into dismissing the charge entirely. This may involve you doing some kind of drug class at a local community college. If the charge is dismissed, then you won't need to worry about any potential license suspension.
You can fight it. If you arent convicted, you dont lose your license. When arrested and charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, set up and attend the court trial. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for plea-bargaining or trial. If you don't know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you. If you can't afford private counsel, you can apply for the Public Defender.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
Even for a relatively low level offense like this, your best shot at avoiding a conviction and/or the harsh license consequences for this is with a criminal defense attorney. Often, an attorney can work out a disposition that will not end up with a conviction. No conviction, no suspension.
    You can enter a not guilty plea and take it to trial in an effort to get it dismissed. I recently had success getting this charge dismissed for a client even when it seemed unlikely...although there are no guarantees, it may be worth fighting.
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    It may be worth it to hire an attorney to avoid the DMV consequences. Plead not guilty. You might be able to get the charge dismissed or reduced to a charge that doesn't have consequences for your license.
    You really need to get a lawyer for this one. If you are still here, no problem, but if not a lawyer can appear for you. If you can't afford a lawyer get the Public Defender. The problem there is that if you are back in Canada it is doubtful that the PD will take your case. Tell me where your case is located and I will make some recommendations for good lawyers.