Is there a way I can petition the court to waive the fee for the home study or waive that I do not need one since I had him for almost three years? 4 Answers as of September 11, 2012

I am in the process of adopting my son, who I have legal guardianship over. I know that in the state of Indiana, you have to have a home study to complete the adoption process. We really do not have the extra $1000 to get this completed.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
A home study is a necessary part of the adoption process. It should not cost $1,000. You may want to check with the adoption agency as to the cost and what the home study will entail.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/11/2012
John Russo | John Russo
WOW, Here in RI when the court orders a home study, they do one of two things; 1st They will send a court investigator, or 2nd They will order DCYF which is our department of families to go out, my point is there is no charge to the party have the home inspected. Thats to bad, see if there is a way to have it done at no cost, outside of that I can't help on this one. But next one them politicians there tells you how they have not raised your taxes say thanks but what about this B/S.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 9/11/2012
Law Office of Lynda H. LeBlanc
Law Office of Lynda H. LeBlanc | Lynda Leblanc
The adoption statutes provide that the home study can be waived by the court if the petitioner (person adopting) is a step-parent or grandparent of the child to be adopted. I have seen some case law where the home study was waived when the child was already living with the petitioner, but it is not a guarantee. You should do a motion requesting that the home study and period of supervision be waived and detail the reasons why. You will still have to have a criminal background check conducted on yourself and any co-petitioner. If the motion is denied then you'll have to do a home study. You should submit the background checks with the motion to waive. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 9/11/2012
Mike Yeksavich | Mike Yeksavich
In Oklahoma the only statutory provision for waiver of a home study is for step parent adoptions when the parties have been married for at least a year.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 9/11/2012
Click to View More Answers: