Is there a way I can lump my school loans together with my bankruptcy? 17 Answers as of January 18, 2013

My loans are starting to get crazy intense. I have over $50k worth of school loans PLUS $10k in credit card debt. Is there no way I can lump them all together?

Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law
Steven D. Keist, Attorney at Law | Steven D. Keist
You have to list student loans on your bankruptcy filing. Generally they are not.
Law Offices of Lady Justice
Law Offices of Lady Justice | Mona Patel
You can lump them together in what is called debt consolidation. However be careful because one loan might have a lower interest rate then another and then you will have to pay more back in interest.

You cannot get rid of school loans in a bankruptcy. Sorry!
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
All your debts must be listed in bankruptcy separately, without exception. It's not clear what you mean by "lumping together."Federally guaranteed student loans are generally not dischargeable.
No you can not get a discharge on student loans unless they are more than

five years old and you can prove that you are unable to repay them.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Go to www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org for student loan information. Contact your lender for a consolidation loan. Bankruptcy will not solve your problem.
    Getting student loans discharged is difficult. you need to see a lawyer experienced in bankruptcy, one that knows the local judges and can tell how they are likely to view such a case.
    DiManna Law Office, LLC.
    DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
    School loans are not typically discharged in a bankruptcy unless you can meet a very difficult test. You should consult a bankruptcy attorney as school loans are a complicated area in bankruptcy.
    Henry, DeGraaff & McCormick, P.S. | Jacob DeGraaff
    Student loans can only be discharged in bankruptcy in the rarest of circumstances. If you are unable to repay your student loans currently, AND you will be unable to repay a substantial portion of them in the future, I would advise that you speak with a bankruptcy attorney to see if you have a chance at the rare feat of discharging your student loans in bankruptcy.
    No you cannot discharge your student debt.
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
    Educational loans must be listed in your bankruptcy, but they are non-dischargeable, meaning that the bankruptcy will not get rid of them.
    Robert Peters, P.A.
    Robert Peters, P.A. | Robert L. Peters
    In a chapter 13 you can lump the student loans together but in a chapter 7 student loans are not effected or altered
    If you are asking if it is possible to discharge school loans in bankruptcy court, the answer is no. If you have transferred this debt to a credit card, it may be possible, but the bankruptcy courts will likely inquire as to significant debt which is incurred shortly before the filing of a bankruptcy petition.
    Student loans are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy.
    I do not know what you mean by lumping them together. If you are asking whether they are dischargeable or not, the answer is no. Student loans are only dischargeable if you can prove, after trial, "undue hardship" as that term is defined by the courts in your district. It is very rare that one qualifies for that, but you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney in your area about your options.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Student loans are not dischargeable under current bankruptcy law.