Is there a way I can lump my school loans together with my bankruptcy? How? 9 Answers as of June 24, 2015

My loans are starting to get crazy intense. I have over $50k worth of school loans PLUS $10k in credit card debt. Is there no way I can lump them all together?

Student loans to a non-profit school or insured by the Federal Government are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy unless you can prove an undue hardship on you and/or your dependents. A tough row to hoe! Meet with an experienced BK lawyer.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Unfortunately, no. In most instances student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, but credit card debt usually can be discharged. If your student loans are federal ones there are many payment options available to you, quite a number of which are income sensitive. That means that the monthly payment can often be reduced for a borrower whose income is not sufficient to pay the standard repayment amount. If you require assistance with student loans there are a number of lawyers who focus on this area of practice. You should be able to find one near you who can help.
The student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy although we have different ways to deal with private and federal loans if you want to contact our office.
School loans are not dischargeable, if you can borrow $50,000 and pay off the loans, then the whole thing would be discharged. But most people who can borrow $50,000 aren't interested in bankruptcy
Lumping these loans together would be a decision for the lenders to make. Bankruptcy typically does not provide for either the discharge or repayment of student loans, so you are barking up the wrong tree!
    The student loans are not dischargeable. There are efforts in Congress to fix this but it has not happened yet. You might look into programs to modify the payments. The problem with these programs is that the interest will eat you alive. The student loan problem just simply sucks.
    You cannot bankrupt student loans.
    If your question is really whether or not you can discharge your student loans in a bankruptcy, it is extremely difficult to discharge a student loan. You must be so incapacitated that you cannot possibly both support yourself and make even a small monthly payment on the student loans. More readily available are several forbearance and income-dependent programs. Contact your lender for where to go to explore those options.
    See an attorney. Educational loans are generally NOT dischargeable and the relief you are seeking not available. See an attorney.