Is there a way for my husband to find out if he has money waiting for him? How? 9 Answers as of July 01, 2015

My husband's dad died when he was 11. He was then put into foster care and was receiving SS checks that his foster mother supposedly sent back. He never received any of the money. Now, he is already 28 years old. Is there any way to find out if he has any money waiting for him? And how would he go about doing that? Thanks!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
He could contact contact Social Security to see if the checks were actually returned as his foster mother claimed. Your husband might have to have his father's social security number when he contacts the agency, but the agency should be able to verify when they were issued, when they were cashed and, if not, when they were returned.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/1/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
You can check with the probate court in the county where his father died. If there's money waiting, they would have the records. The foster mother undoubtedly took the SS money and it's too late to go after it now.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/1/2015
Wellerstein Law Group, P.C.
Wellerstein Law Group, P.C. | Elisha Wellerstein
He should go to his local Social Security office and find out if there is anything available.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/1/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Given the length of time since his father's death and your husband's current age, I doubt there is any money waiting for your father to pick up. The social security payments were to pay for his upbringing which apparently his foster family covered by themselves. However, you husband could contact his local Social Security office and ask them to check into it.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/30/2015
Law Office Of Victor Waid
Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
Contact Social Security for your answer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/30/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Contact the State Controller.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/30/2015
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    He could try the Department of State Lands, unclaimed property, Or contact the Social Security Administration (which has an excellent website).
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 6/30/2015
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    If the foster mother did return the checks there may be a way to get them reissued by social security. Start by going, in person, to the nearest social security office to Start an inquiry.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/30/2015
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    A few suggestions are to check with Social Security and to check with the unclaimed property division. Where you husband lived or where father died. Best of luck.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: