Is there a way around an alcohol program if the DUI is old? 11 Answers as of June 10, 2013

My friend has a twenty-year-old DUI conviction and was in prison for the past seventeen years. DMV is insisting that he complete an eighteen-month alcohol/program before re-issuing his license. Is there any way around this?

No. Although the precise provisions on this subject have been amended over the years this has always been required in one way or another. Usually if he enrolls or at least does part of the program the DMV will issue a restricted license. An attorney who deals with the DMV might be of assistance but it is doubtful this requirement can be avoided completely.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
There is no way around it if he wants to regain his driving privilege. The 18 month program is mandated by law. You may get some help by calling DMV in Sacramento.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
No. If you friend was convicted of a DUI and did not attend and complete a state mandated alcohol school, the DMV will not give him a license.
Way around? He could try to appeal the order by having a hearing at DMV, but I wouldnt bet on success. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
No there's not - and they never forget!