Is there a time limit a state debtor collect criminal fines from someone? 1 Answers as of July 21, 2017

More than 10 years ago, I was in a little trouble with the law, call it juvenile delinquency, and was ordered to pay fines and report for a couple years of probation. I was paying the whole time I was on probation, but after I was released, I just forgot about it all together. Here we are 14 years later, and I am getting letters and phone calls from some law firm/collector asking to settle. I am not sure how they have my phone number in the first place, as I have had no contact with the state in some time. I looked the place up and I've read that they try to collect debts in which the debtor is not legally obligated to pay. They are warning of further legal action if this matter is not settled in a timely manner.

Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
It is likely that either there is no time limit or that the time limitations for judgments apply. In Illinois a judgment can be enforced for 20-27 years. Although it must be revived after 7 years, courts have ruled that does not prevent a debt collector from asking you to pay, although this is still being litigated. To determine if the persons calling are authorized, check with the clerk of the court that ordered the payment.